Boom when mored

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

I'm a new owner of a '74 V21, it is mored on Lake Champlain. Right now the main is covered with a sail cover and I hang the end of the boom with the main halyard and tighten (not to tight)with the sheet. Is this the way to go? It can get quite rough on the water. Or am I better off just leaving the boom on the deck to avoid strain. Thanks for your help. Steve

G

How Rough.

You might consider what you mean by rough. If you leave the boom attached with the sail furled along it and are getting a lot of wave action then consider this: The weight of that sail can be more than just a "few" pounds, Youv'e hefted that sail bag, remember? Now we have not only the weight of the sail but sail cover and boom as well hanging on that little attachment point at the mast. A little rock n roll can cause considerable wear over a small period of time. Personally, if I was leaving her for more than a day or two, I'd just pull the main and stow it below if I expected rough conditions before my returm. You know how rough the wind and waves are where you anchor, I don't. But in rough conditions I tend to do anything I can that will reduce wear and strain on boat. Happy Sailing, Mike

D

dan

Boom Crutch !

Steve, May I suggest use of a boom crutch to support the boom while moored. I use the mast crutch on my 26X to support boom when docked. Then run a line down to the mainsheet connection on the steering pedestal to secure the boom. While underway I use a seperate line from the masthead to support the boom when the sails are down. The mast takes a lot of strain when purchased from the head for supports. happy sailing......dan

Status
Not open for further replies.