Boom Vang

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

h.banick

I just got a new Garhauer solid boom vang through the net. There are no mounting instructions with it and the party I got it from said he also got it without any instructions. So does anybody out there know how close to the bottom of the mast & how far out on the boom should I mount the brackets? Thanks for your help. CHESSURE C30

T

Tom Curry

Pop Top?

I can't tell you too much about mounting your boom vang. But if you have a pop top, be sure to mount it high enough on the mast to allow your top to be up and still attach your vang. The lack of mounting instructions seem to be the norm with anything you get for a catalina boat! Good Luck.

K

Kevin McGrath

Rigid Boom Vang

When I installed it on my C27 I mounted the track vertically at the base of the mast. The boom track section must be mounted so that when the boom is supported by the vang, the slide sits in the middle of the track. This gives you the ability to fine tune the vertical position of the boom. I clamped the track on in order to get it in the correct location. Do not support the boom when you install the vang, you need to load the spring in the vang with the weight of the boom, in order to have the boom sit in the correct horizontal position.When you set it up make sure that the vang is not compressed by the block and tackle.

M

Michael

I'd try catalina direct.They have a technical support number.They know everything....

B

Bob Camarena

Contact Garhauer

Have you thought about contacting Garhauer? They are usually very helpful. Garhauer vangs are custom built for each boat. They have standard models but cut the tubes to fit the boat based on critical dimensions provided to them at the time you order. If you bought the boom from an individual and, if it was not originally ordered for a C-30, you might have to compromise. As I recall from an article about vangs in a magazine, a 30-60-90 triangle with the long leg on the boom is about optimum (not 45-45-90 as one might think). The mast and boom fittings are also tailor-made to the shape of the C-30 mast and boom. The track mounted version the other responder mentioned sounds like a lighter model than that specified for the C-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.