Boom Vang

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Dean

Ordered a boom vang from Garhauer and plan to install it shortly. The lower bracket is attach to the mast above the two boxed areas for the internal sheet. There are two of these boxes welded to the boom for uthe main and jib to exit from inside the mast. One box on each side angeled at about t45 degrees to the some what squarish and boxie ISOMAT mast. Each box has two sheives for the intermal sheets: main and 3 jib sheets all exit the boom from these areas. I have tied the boom vang brackets to the mast and the boom as a pre install look see. As of now, the boom vang is tied to the boom/mast so as to provied distance of only 34" on the mast between the center of the boom goose neck and the vang attachment bracket where it is afixed to the boom and just resting on the sheive housings. I have attached the boom vang bracket to the boom (tied it on) and that is 54 inches along the boom from the center of the goose neck to the center of the the vang attaching bolt. Did my math and those numbers of 34 and 54 inches provides an angle (arctan) of 31 degrees on the boom for the vang support angle with about 3.75 inches of vang travel left over before the vang tube bottoms out. I called Garhauer and was told that the boom angle they like to see is between 45 and 35 degrees. Any guidance from the List as to the boom vang backet placement on the mast ?? Is it ok to be above the sheive housing at 31 to 34 degrees or get a new bracket and install it lower on the mast and set the bracket between these housings so as to brove a higher boom angle ?? Bob Dean

R

Rick Crockett

installed same vang

i just installed my right above the sheave exit boxes. it works great even though i also have only a approx 30 degree angle. install it. it so nice not having the topping line installed and getting in the way of the main tell-tails have fun and enjoy later Rick Crockett h28.5 "Maverick"

A

Alan

instalation of vang

I have a 35.5 with a Hall Quick Vang on it. If you need help or want pictures let me know. Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.