Boom vang fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Smolinsky

We finally want to install a Boom Vang but have gotten mixed advice as to how to install the fixed fittings. Installing a bail on the boom seems straightforward and probably the only and best option. It's the mast fitting that is perplexing. One suggestion is a screwed-in pad eye in the sail track,but that involves removing the boom track from the mast in order to slip in the pad eye. Another suggestion was to install a base under the mast which has accommodation for attachment of a boom vang snap shackle- this one is a little impractical mid-season.Another suggestion was a bail on the mast but with some sort of interior "bushing " to prevent squeezing( compressing ) the mast when the bail bolt is tightened. Lastly, we have seen other boast - not Hunters- that have a pad eye with a contoured base screwed directly to the mast. Each option probably has advantages and disdvantages re: strength and ease of installation. What do you think is the best balance? Are there other issues to consider? Thanks in advance for your advice.

G

Greg Stebbins

What I did.....

I used a bail on the mast about 6 inches above the deck. Through bolt with washers and locking nut. This "interior bushing" stuff sounds like overkill. I just managed to not overtighten the self locking nut. :) Greg

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

I'd use something at deck level

I would use a fitting at deck level, as close to the mast as possible. On my C25, the boom attaches to an eye on a plate that is actually part of the mast step assembly. Putting the vang to the deck gives it the best leverage. Putting it to the mast gives it the least centering action. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

B

Bob Camarena

Consider a Rigid Vang

You might want to consider installing a rigid vang. Garhauer makes a very good, reasonably priced one that's not much more expensive than a traditional vang. I believe that one for your boat would be about $215. It comes with both mast and boom fittings made specifically for your boat. Plus you get to do away with your topping lift which makes reefing much safer and easier underway.

N

Nelsonhow

bale, bale, bale

I have have a 78 H-27 with a bale on the mast 8" above the dec, no compression post in mast,.... works great...n

Status
Not open for further replies.