Boom Van Line Replacement & Length

Mar 6, 2005
Hunter 310 Lake Canyon Yacht Club, Texas
I have a Hunter 310 and need to replace my Boom Vang Line. According to the manual, it should be a 3/8" x 40' long. However, to me the length seems to be quite a bit more than what is really needed. I sail on a lake in South Texas and for the most part I always seem to have about 20' coiled up and never used.

My question is 'Does it really need to be 40' long?' I don't mind buying a new one that long but if it's not needed, I'd rather get something shorter.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Did you shorten it to eliminate extra line in the cockpit and/or happy with the line length? If so, attach a tag line with a clip or by sewing ends together and pull it through, remove from the tag line, measure, buy new line, connect new line to the tag line and pull it through. OR take a photo of how the line is installed and remove, measure and purchase a new line and install. Replacing lines is an easy way to spruce up your sailboat and very satisfying if you do it yourself.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2005
Hunter 310 Lake Canyon Yacht Club, Texas
I have not adjusted or eliminated any length. Since i am mostly pleasure cruising during the day, i tend to set it as I am leaving the marina and not do anything till i am done for the day so i don't run it into the cockpit. But i want to do a better job of trimming while underway and also may have more time for a few races this year. It just seemed like so much extra but if run it into the cockpit, i will probably need more than i think. Will verify what i need from the cockpit and get a 'proper' length for me .. thanks

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ken
I am guessing you do not know if the previous owner replaced the boom vang line. Might be a reasonable time to do your own measurements. Very easy with a tape measure.
  1. Release the vang lines.
  2. with vang eased, measure the distance from the boom connection to the deck or mast connection. This is the overall length.
  3. Count the trips the line makes over the sheaves forming loops.
  4. Multiply the Overall length my the number from step 3. (i.e. 5 times 36 inches = 180 inches. 15 ft)
  5. purchase 20 feet and you have a bit extra to manage a relaxed vang on a downwind leg with the boom extended over the side of the boat.
It is not a difficult task. You may even buy a little extra and then trim the extra line when you rig the boat. What to do with that extra line? How about new lines for the fenders. How lone has it been since they have been changed.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Basically, it sounds like you're trying to save $20. :) If so, just reduce size to 5/16.

Ease the vang out completely. Is the remaining line long enough to route back to the cockpit and be cleated. If so, leave it. Just coil the excess and hang it on a handy line bag or clip. Having the vang in the cockpit means you'll actually use it. It is a very important mainsail trim tool. Especially if you race, you need to understand its purpose and make it part of your tool set.