Boom to Traveller riging

Aug 21, 2013
Newport 30 Mission Bay
I have a 1968 Newport 30 which I recently purchased. It is a very solid boat. I have replaced the forestay and the forward shrouds. I am currently working on the backstay and the two outside shrouds. Better safe than sorry (or de-masted)...

As I was looking at the connections for the traveler, I noticed that it connects to the boom with only one small bracket on the bottom of the boom. It looks too small for a boat of this size. Can anyone post photos of the rigging from the boom to the traveler and give any information about placement of the brackets on the boom? I have sailed smaller boats with much more substantial hardware and three brackets on the bottom of the boom attached to blocks.

I don't want to get 40 miles offshore and have the thing fail.

Any help and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Boyd

"Bon Vivant"

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I have a 1968 Newport 30 which I recently purchased. It is a very solid boat. I have replaced the forestay and the forward shrouds. I am currently working on the backstay and the two outside shrouds. Better safe than sorry (or de-masted)...

As I was looking at the connections for the traveler, I noticed that it connects to the boom with only one small bracket on the bottom of the boom. It looks too small for a boat of this size. Can anyone post photos of the rigging from the boom to the traveler and give any information about placement of the brackets on the boom? I have sailed smaller boats with much more substantial hardware and three brackets on the bottom of the boom attached to blocks.

I don't want to get 40 miles offshore and have the thing fail.

Any help and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Boyd

"Bon Vivant"
One of the ORIGINAL fiberglass boats.

If that bail is inside a channel of the bottom of the boom it's fine. If it's just riveted, you might want to upgrade.

Its an newer version but this might help

http://pacificnorthwestboating.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/newport-mast-and-boom-assembly.jpg

May 10, 2014
Newport 30 Severna Park
Boyd,

If your referring to the small attachment on the traveler car itself, I totally agree. my refit of my N-30II I kept the original traveler car but used a much more substantial stainless shackle for the block attachment on the car. I got one that was small enough to fit in the track un-obstructed but big enough to go under the center portion of the car itself and hold the block to the car. I feel much better about it.