Boom Rigging

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
Dear Fellow Cherubs,

For years I’ve been rigging my boom/mainsail on my 1976 Hunter 25 the way I felt it should work with mediocre success. Does anyone have a diagram of a 25 or 27 Hunter boom rigging?

Any help appreciated!

Best,
Mark

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
The H25 manual shows the mainsheet going from aft of mid boom to a block on a U-bolt toward the forward end of the cockpit deck. Sometimes, it goes to a traveler on the bridge deck at the forward end of the cockpit. Most of the H25 pictures on this forum show one of those two versions. The mainsheet on our '77 H27 goes from the aft end of the boom to a traveler across the cockpit just aft of the rudder post. I like our setup because:
1. The end boom attachment gives maximum leverage and minimum stress on the boom.
2. The mainsheet is reasonably out of the way of crew seated in the cockpit.

On both boats, prior owners have moved the mainsheet to a traveler mounted over the main cabin, just forward of hatch into the cabin. This usually involves using multiple loops to separate blocks on the boom to avoid overstressing it at one point. This is my least favorite solution, but it does move the mainsheet totally out of the cockpit.

Last edited: