Boom positioning on mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James Burton

Hurricane Wilma destroyed our rigging, and we eventually got a new mast set up by the marina. It seems they bolted the boom to the mast about 2 feet higher than normal, and we are hoping someone can measure the distance from the base of the mast to the boom on their Catalina 30 so we can tell the installer the correct placement for the boom. Replies much appreciated.

Mar 31, 2004
Catalina 380 T Holland
2' 9" above the cabin top

to the TOP of the boom (see below extracted from the C-30 specifications, measurements are between the bands, and the upper edge of the lower band is level with the top of the boom). "P" 35' 6" (Standard) 37' 6" (Tall) Note - "P" measurement, Lower band is minimum 2' 9" above cabin top. Pole lengths are measured between outer faces of both jaws. Steve (Formerly) Alchemist C-30T #4764 (Currently)Alchemist C-320 #909

S

Stephen

Minimum measurment

The C30 one design class specifications says that the "P measurment, lower band, is MINIMUM 2'9" above the cabin top". My boom appears to be in the proper spot and is mounted 3'6" above. I still have the full 35' luff on my standard rig mainsail and the boom clears my bimini. I have a 1992 C30. If you sail with a bimini, you may want to see if 2'9" gives you the clearance desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.