boom lines on the 8.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2008
S2 8.6 Brunswick, Maine
I'm setting up my (new to me) 8.6 for the first time and am a bit puzzled by the lines inside the boom. The middle one, obviously, is the outhaul and the the two lines flanking it appear to be reefing lines but I have not been able to figure out how they should run. There are two sets of reef points in the mainsail but no blocks or cleats on the boom or mast that would seem to be necessary for rigging a jiffy reefing line or lines. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
My 9.2A, with a Kenyon rig, was set up so that reefing must be done at the mast (typically known as jiffy or slab reefing). The two lines in the boom run from a knot secured through a bail on the side of the boom aft up perpendicular to the cringle then down at an angle to the aft end of the boom, thorugh the boom to the mast where they are secured by a cam/clamp. The main is secured at the front by hooking the forward reef cringle on a reef horn.

If you want to run the lines aft you can do what someone did on my boat already...they removed the cam clamps running the lines through turning cheek blocks on the mast to run the lines up through their respective cringles then down to the base of the mast and through a series of blocks aft (block at the base, turning block on the deck and then a sheet clutch aft for each). This is usually called single line reefing.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Illustration

I whipped up a quick illustration. Hopefully this will make it clear if it wasn't already. If this doesn't match what you have, a photo would be helpful.

:deadhorse:

Attachments

Oct 13, 2008
S2 8.6 Brunswick, Maine
Bob M-
Thanks for your great help. I actually paid a "rigger" to try and solve it and he couldn't after an hour and $65 so i was extremely grateful for your help. It's so obvious once someone tells you!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Your welcome. It took me a while to figure that out myself on my last boat and I am happy to pass it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.