Boom eye - What is this called?

Apr 15, 2021
C&C 40-2 AC St John
Having a hard time figuring out what this is called. Can’t get this one off and need to have one about three inches farther forward on the boom as it damages our Dodger In this spot.
IMG_3213.jpeg

boat Is a C&C 40-2AC. Guessing this is a custom part but not sure.

Thanks,
sean

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
looks custom???, why not move against the boos with eye straps?

Apr 15, 2021
C&C 40-2 AC St John
Ya I think it’s custom as well.

Moving the main sheet to along the side of the boom would add a lot of downward force on the eyes as the main sheet blocks at the end of the boom hang below it. Also would create a great deal of friction.

Am curious what other C&C 40-2AC owners have to prevent mainsheet chafing the dodger?

sean

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It looks like it was installed to prevent the sheet from catching on the vang pin. Perhapse you could remove it all together and wrap the pin with chaffing tape instead.

As far as what it is called, it looks like it performs a similar function to this eye becket.
1700569891679.png

But, every Google search I did on "wire becket", "eye becket", "sailing hardware becket", "sheet becket", etc., led either to this image, a becket strap (to hold hammocks up), or block hardware.

-Will

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hello Sean.
Looks to me to be a custom designed fairlead. Clever design. Keeps the line off the center of the boom so that it does not interfere with the boom kicker.

The edge of the plate shows some corrosion along the attached metal plate. The screws look to be stainless threaded into the aluminum boom. I would suspect dissimilar corrosion on the threads. You might try an impact driver/screwdriver and some penetrating oil to help break the corrosion and remove the screws without stripping the heads. Last resort would be to drill out the screw and retap for a slightly larger screw.

I’d like to see a wider view of the boom, the lines and the dodger to offer any ideas regarding the mainsheet setup.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Clever fairlead. In the fiber spinning industry they were called "Pigtails" to guide the filaments around changes in direction. They were convenient to use as you could just wrap the fiber around quickly without having to thread the end through. As to removing, a manual impact driver you hit with a hammer might be the best solution to break those screws loose. Maybe with a little heat applied first on the aluminum.

Apr 15, 2021
C&C 40-2 AC St John
Thanks everyone, yes this one is definitely not coming off without force. Screw heads are mostly stripped from previous owner and is corroded on there!

Don’t have the dodger right now as it is out for repair. One way or another this is coming off, just a matter of whether I will be able to reuse in a better location so as not to re-damage the dodger or if I’ll have to come up with a new solution.

Sean

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Thanks everyone, yes this one is definitely not coming off without force. Screw heads are mostly stripped from previous owner and is corroded on there!

Don’t have the dodger right now as it is out for repair. One way or another this is coming off, just a matter of whether I will be able to reuse in a better location so as not to re-damage the dodger or if I’ll have to come up with a new solution.

Sean
This is why I prefer pop rivets. Easy to install and you never have to deal with corrosion when you remove them