Boom connection woes?

Apr 19, 2020
Catalina 310 Kenosha, WI
On my c310 the mast connection sheared. Having trouble getting the end cap off of the boom after removing the 4 screws. Any advice?

Attachments

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I had the same issue, the sheer pin ‘sheered’. I think it had been replace before, it was just a cotter pin. I replaced it with a hardened steel split pin.
To remove the end cap, I used a large flat screw driver, tapping it like a chisel, gently moving all around and it eventually loosened. Didn’t damage anything.
Good luck.
Cheers

Apr 19, 2020
Catalina 310 Kenosha, WI
Thanks that worked. After inspection, there doesn’t appear to be the 3/16 pin that locks it all in place on mine? Just a broken cotter pin . Is that normal?

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hmm, just like mine. I think maybe the cotter pin was a poor idea by the maker of the boom. I don’t have the drawings available to see what the original design was, but I can’t imagine a soft cotter pin was the right decision. My $0.02..

Apr 19, 2020
Catalina 310 Kenosha, WI
Seems there should be a "cross pin" that locks that linkage together and keeps the boom from rotating. Anyone know where to get one? Catalina folks have no leads. Catalina Direct sells the entire end cap assembly for the boom, but I just need the long pin as shown below.

1720625453885.png

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Seems there should be a "cross pin" that locks that linkage together and keeps the boom from rotating. Anyone know where to get one? Catalina folks have no leads. Catalina Direct sells the entire end cap assembly for the boom, but I just need the long pin as shown below.

View attachment 225914
I would think you'd want to boom to rotate some. That's the case with my current boat, and was so with my Catalina 36.

Apr 19, 2020
Catalina 310 Kenosha, WI
The concern with the boom rotating is that it adds stress to the linkage for the boom vang which on boat does not flex that way.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I would think you'd want to boom to rotate some. That's the case with my current boat, and was so with my Catalina 36.
On my 1999 catalina 36 the boom dos not rotate. I do not understand why the boom should be free to rotate.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
On my 1999 catalina 36 the boom dos not rotate. I do not understand why the boom should be free to rotate.
I think it's so it takes some stress off the gooseneck connection, allowing a fair lead from the foot of the sail.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Cedar Creek, Bayville NJ
I know that on the C30's CTY used a washer and cotter pin to hold the swivel shaft in the end cap. As the cotter pins broke, users either replaced with the same or put in the long pin making the boom somewhat stationary.
The first winter I had my C30 I had the end caps off and replaced the cotter pin with new, even though it showed no sign of wear. If I have the cap off again I plan to drill it for a long pin as shown above.