BOB...boat overboard prevention

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
What is the thin line called that is tied to the boat and then to the ring on a removable pin. As in a rudder pin has a ring on the top and the line connects to the rudder gudegeon or a pins that go through shroud adjusters.

I have one good one left and its about 2mm in diameter.

Lanyard of some sort.

Any brand and size preferences?

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Lanyard is probably the right terminology. I've used stainless fishing leaders for that purpose on the few ring dings I have to remove during trailering.

Apr 16, 2017
This looks robust. I like where this is going. I would have never thought to use wire with crimped eye splices.

I was thinking i would have to get a kit or something to make splices in wire, but these can be bought pre-made. This would work by putting "ring dings" on each end if one side was missing the ring.

"Loop to Loop Lanyard"

IMG_20190629_195746.jpg

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
What is the thin line called that is tied to the boat and then to the ring on a removable pin. As in a rudder pin has a ring on the top and the line connects to the rudder gudegeon or a pins that go through shroud adjusters.

I have one good one left and its about 2mm in diameter.

Lanyard of some sort.

Any brand and size preferences?
Try "pendant"

Apr 16, 2017
Dave brought up a good point about wear that isnt obvious without first living through it.

These are some uses on my boat that are probably common.

Gooseneck
Rudder Pin to Gudegeon ,
Rudder Pin to Cotter Pin
Jib Forestay
Tiller
Sail Slug Stop
Shroud Adjusters
Hiking Compass to Centerboard.

The gooseneck and tiller would be tje only good places for metal

Also, if there is an issue, a knife could cut the fiber lanyards.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2017
Made a trip to West Marine and looked around. Really needed to see this stuff up close.

At first i had some "NEW ENGLAND ROPES
1/8" Braided Polyester Dacron Cord" in hand thinking this would work. It wasnt much different from paracord, but the size would have been adequate. The price was nice too.

Then I found some spools of "FSE ROBLINE
98' X 2mm Polyester Braid Line Mini-Spool". It also has the label of "Orion 500". The price is ridiculous, and i dont need 98 feet either, but 2mm was much more compact than the 1/8.

Ended up with the Orion 500 and a pair of sandals to replace my smelly rotten watershoes.

So far Ive got the tiller pin tied off and the pin compass ready to be attached. This will work perfectly. It burns quickly and knots set well. Has some stiffness that makes it easy to grab the line.

Last season i used some three stranded nylon and in less than 1 year in sunshine it was rotting off. Hope this holds out longer.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@BobbyFunn
Wait till you find an old salty seacrab which to throw those old "to replace my smelly rotten watershoes" inside his boat and run laughing along the way

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Safety Cables for professional lighting are another handy alternative. They usually state safe working/load limits, reasonably priced and are available in stainless