Boat name letter size for decal

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
What is the best size font for the boat name decal applied to the port and starboard rear. I was looking at 8 inch letters depending on the overall length. I just don't want something to small. Any thoughts. Thanks Richie.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hey R50, I have hull#5254 and just bought 5" letters for both sides and think they are just about right. I think anything bigger is too big-IMO! Thanks

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
I have my lettering done by a sign shop. Usually they can print out the actual size of the decal so you can tape it to the hull and see kind of how it will look before they cut the vinyl. Might cost a couple bucks, but at least you'll have a better idea. In the attached photo I believe the capital letters are 8", but a lot depends on the length of the name.
Don
CATALINA 22 MKII 082.jpg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
If you're any good with a paint program, you can take a picture of the area which will be be getting the decal and then work away until you get what looks good to you with size, font, colour, and arrangement. Scale off your imposed lettering to the size on the hull and you've got the real life size for your order. Any print shop worth giving you business to can find your font on the web if they don't already have it on file.

I used MSPaint to remove the old decals and the hull became my canvas.

Boat With Name Removed.JPG
Caribbean Treasure Two Lines.JPG
Caribbean Treasure.JPG

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
If the sign shop judges you to be honest (i.e. you will not take their design labor and paint the name on yourself...) they will do the font and layout work and then send the name file to their vinyl cutter with the cutter replaced with a pen/pencil. You will then get a sheet of paper with the name at full scale and can tape it on and evaluate it for fit and proportion.
We did that for our boat. After the trial fit with the pencil version, I went back and had the guy cut the name out.

Application: having done all of the install work of the vinyl name on my prior boat, I knew how tedious it was to get the name on and squegeed into place, so for minimal $ the sign maker did the application as well.
It went well because we had the boat hauled for bottom painting, and the application, while done from a short step ladder, was easier to do than it would have been if afloat on a moving hull. We went with a fairly large font, on both sides of the quarters and put the hailing port under it in a smaller font.

Fair winds,
Loren
Olson 34 Fresh Air
(a name reference for QMS fans)

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Swift
Having spent a 40 year career in visual design and type setting, either you or your sign company did the worst sin in all type setting, ALL CAPS, especially with the type face of Brush Script used on your boat. The other worst type face to use in all caps is Old English. Any script type face should never be used in all caps.

Look at Island Hunter, it is set in all caps, it’s a fancy font not a script but, it is in what we call Caps and Small Caps which makes it work because it is more legible.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Ha ha, that's Overton's for you! I'm not real wild about it either, but I've got a regatta coming up and probably don't have time to change it!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Ha ha, that's Overton's for you! I'm not real wild about it either, but I've got a regatta coming up and probably don't have time to change it!
Are you sailing in the Catch 22 Regatta at LMSC?

Oct 4, 2010
I think I have it figured out. Going with 8 inch captilized first letter followed by lower case. "Half Way There" in a script style. While figuring it out I came across a C22 that has been sitting in the marina side yard for probably 5 year, East Hampton NY if anyone is interested. I'm sure they would want to sell it just don't know any details.
image.jpeg

Oct 4, 2010
Still have photos available, seems kind of large depending on the length

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
I think I have it figured out. Going with 8 inch captilized first letter followed by lower case. "Half Way There" in a script style. While figuring it out I came across a C22 that has been sitting in the marina side yard for probably 5 year, East Hampton NY if anyone is interested. I'm sure they would want to sell it just don't know any details. View attachment 120530