Boat Hit While At Anchor!!

Nov 23, 2015
Catalina 30 Stockton Missouri
HEINZIR
"My boat was dismasted at her mooring by a drunken power boater in the middle of the night. It was a hit and run. Police never caught him. In the pictures the topping lift is the only thing keeping the mast out of the water."
I used to own a Venture Newport 23 just like that one. My friends and I had many good times on that boat. Was there any other damage to the hull? I hope you find suitable mast and gear to put her back into service. Good Luck Mate!

Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
Not too much other damage other than a splintered toe rail and mangled mast step. I had a good sized aluminum backing plate under the step so the bolts did not pull through. It took me about a month but I found a used mast blank in Minneapolis. I rigged the mast on saw horses in my driveway. I carried the mast down to the lake with my daughter's help, backed the boat alongside a neighbor's dock, and installed and raised the mast all without pulling the boat from the water. I lost about a month of sailing but I did manage to take her out as a (very slow) motor boat a couple of times.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I have been hit 4 times, twice while moored (in a stinking charted mooring field). once in a transient slip, and once in my home slip. Every. Single. One was a hit'n'run. Every one. On mooring I was below deck and and came up to see the perp motoring away. In my slip I was below and like Stu it sounded and felt like a bomb blast, I came up to up to see Capt. Newbie motoring out. But the best one was in a transient slip where Capt. Goofy hit my boat while trying to get out of his slip...and motored away. I returned from the showers to find some of his fellow Club members, they gave me his name, number, and boat name and told me how he had a reputation for hitting other boats. In one incident he dragged through an anchorage doing significant damage to other Club boats, promised to have his insurer call, and never did. My call to him was hilarious, he started out by asking where the accident had happened, and not remembering taking my bow-pulpit off. His 'indignant' act was well rehearsed! I rattled off the names of the witnesses (who he knew) and asked for the name and number of his insurance broker.

In every one of the incidents the offending skipper was totally unqualified to be skippering the boat he had in his charge. Over powering, no maneuvering skill, lack of docking skill, and going way too fast for their abilities.

Hit and Runs are very common. If you witness one, take pictures and boat names and turn the skipper in. These people should lose their ability to insure their boats and in doing so, should be out of boating.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... These people should lose their ability to insure their boats and in doing so, should be out of boating.
:clap:

Yep! If you boat long enough... you'll have a bad day... own up to it.... but a hit and run is no different that breaking into someones house and taking their stuff. So far I've been lucky... the only unexplained damage I've ever experienced was a broken nav. light on the bow.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Sorry Rob. I couldn't help it. My mind works in strange and mysterious ways.
;)

Earlier this spring I had four sailboats in my yard. I'm down to only three now. The crazy cat lady across the street got nuthin' on me.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
They are Disney fans. They only whistle while they work.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I didn't take this video but I was a witness to the event, the video only shows the last half after the "Skipper" had hit half a dozen boats.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
It shut off just when it was about to get good!!!

"Captain Jack is about to get his a** beat" best line I have heard today LOL!

Sam

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
imgp0008.JPG

This was one of our close calls. 6 am on a mooring ball and I could hear him coming. Barge and tug were ten feet away and I jumped below to get a camera. They hit the boat at our stern leaving a nice tire mark on the gel coat. Nobody aboard that boat.

All U Get

May 17, 2010
Hunter 1983 - 34' Port of Everett
I have been tempted to purchase a paintball gun. My logic is that if the jerk is close enough for me to repaint his vessel and or enhancements, then that their bad not mine. Ya I know I would probably face a judge, but you gotta admit it would feel good.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Just request a trial by jury of your peers. We would all understand and find you innocent