Boat delivery from New England to Virginia

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Nice! I've made that run off the jersey coast a few times and it sure can be a commitment! Glad you had a safe and seemingly fun trip!

Feb 11, 2017
Rosborough 246 Upper Chesapeake
Great report. Thanks for posting. I've done that trip but not with the headwinds you described.
As for the Internet connection -- not needed while underway. You can pre-load the chart areas you intend to sail and then no connection needed. Yes, Navionics will tell you if your charts are out of date, but it will let you proceed if you dismiss the warning.
This is correct. We use the Navionics app on an Android tablet with no cell service. It works just fine. We update charts (they can be updated daily) on a Wi-Fi connection before we leave the dock. I think the confusion arises because many (all?) Apple tablets do not have GPS if they do not have cell service capability. Many Android tablets without cell service do have good GPS.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I think the confusion arises because many (all?) Apple tablets do not have GPS if they do not have cell service capability.
Generally speaking that’s correct. Only the cellular model iPads have gps. The cell service does not need to be active, paid for, connected, or anything else; the device just needs to have the cell modem hardware.

• Helpful

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Only the cellular model iPads have gps.
I think that was true at one time but not anymore. I have an iPad without cell service and it has GPS and works fine with Navionics app. It also displays AIS through my Vesper.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I may have spoken too soon. My iPad has always worked with my Navionics app so I assumed it had a built in GPS. I found this:
I'm not sure how far off shore you loose cell service.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I think that was true at one time but not anymore. I have an iPad without cell service and it has GPS and works fine with Navionics app. It also displays AIS through my Vesper.
It doesn't need to have cell service, but it MUST have the hardware to be capable of cell service, even if you don't subscribe. The GPS and cell circuitry are on the same internal assembly. If you look your device would have a place on the side (a tiny hatch with a small hole next to it to accept a wire such as paper clip or blunt pin). You pop the cover out by pressing the wire in, and a tiny drawer accepts a SIM card.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
There is another possible explanation: iOS can work with external GPS devices, and if your Vesper is providing GPS info along with the AIS stream it will work as if the iPad has external GPS. Disconnect the Vesper and see if you still get position info in your iOS apps.