Boat Cradle

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Daus

Planning next Fall haulout and maintenance. Boat yard suggests building a cradle for our 1982 Hunter 36. Have only had the boat for one season. Next Fall will be the first time we pull the boat out of the water for any length of time. Does anyone know where design specs for a cradle can be obtained? Has Hunter Marine provided specs for cradles for this or other models? Thanks, Mike

C

Claude L.-Auger

Hunter is no help

on a boat of that vintage. I called them last spring as I had the same problem for a newly acquired 34. I put a post here on HOW to find someone near me with a sistership and got lucky. Took pictures and dimensions and had one built by a welding shop. Good Luck. BTW, if you're in Idaho, where is the boat if in the water in January ?

R

Robert Dean

When I purchased my 1989 Huntler Legend 35 it was on a cradle in the local yard. The cradle was put together (welded up) by the then local Hunter dealer. I still have the cradle and would like to sell it. But Pensacola is a bit far from Salt Lake. I have some pictures if you care to see them Plus I could send the tech data such as the length, height, pad placement etc. Bob Dean Pensacola, FL

E

Ed Schenck

Not hard to build.

Easy for me to say, my H37C came with one. But I have watched a contractor build a custom cradle more than once. You could build the frame but probably cheaper to buy a used one. Width should be same as beam at points where boat will be cradled, usually at bridgedeck aft and v-berth bulkhead forward. Length is measurement between the two points just mentioned. Then use cardboard or something similar to make a template. The cradles from the factory are made of two or three layers of 3/4" plywood. Builders here use two, then carpet. I would use three. Hardest part is shaping the three layers to the hull. Easier option is to use four or six adjustable pads like found on the stands. Remember that the cradle just keeps the boat from tipping. All the weight should be on the keel.

Status
Not open for further replies.