Boat cover for an O'Day 22?

Jul 28, 2020
O'Day 22 Boston
Any ideas on where I can get a boat-cover for an O'Day 22? Its sitting on a trailer - mast/rigging off the boat. I just need something to keep the rain/leaves out in the fall while i fix it up.

Maybe something pre-made exists like a Flex-Fit off-the-shelf thing at westmarine?

Happy to hear ideas on how to DIY something that doesnt look totally trashy.

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
I use, tarps.com. These come with grommets and have lasted 3 or 4 years. Or billboardtarps.com. These are heavy duty tarps that are printed with advertisements and have been removed from the billboards. You need to cut them to shape and add grommets. Bullet proof. I have used these also.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I use my mast as a ridge pole, supported at three points, bow pulpit, behind the house, and at the transom. This makes the mast very rigid, and I am not worried about potential snow load. With only 2 supports at each end, the mast is flexible, and could potentially be bent by snow load. I can remove my life line stanchions, so a tarp goes pretty much from mast ridge pole to the sides of the boat, making a reasonably steep pitch for snow. If you can't remove the stanchions, you MUST find some way to support a tarp so that snow and perhaps pools of rain water will not push the tarp in and bend your stanchions. Many people make up a framework higher than the stanchions, usually out of PVC pipe and fittings. Don't glue them, so you can disassemble for storage for next year. I also buy heavy duty silver polyethylene tarps from tarpusa.com, because A) I can get heavier material than at the typical big box store blue tarp and B) I can get longer aspect ratio tarps than the more square aspect ratio tarps at the big box stores. (I use a 12x25) Buy yourself some polyester utility cord if you can find some. I have a bunch of 1/4" braided over parallel strand core that was made and sold by a company which used to come to the Atlantic City Boat show every year. I can't remember who they are, but I can see what their business card looked like in my mind's eye - just can't read the words. Darned if I know where I put that card... Anyway, it is a more economical utility cord than a double braid polyester. The polyester is good for chafe resistance on the trailer, and UV resistance. Bungee cords suck for holding on tarps, and the brightly colored polypropylene utility cord you can get at the big box store is absolute crap which will crumble and fall apart from UV exposure within 2 years. Novabraid.com once told me they made a plain white 3/16" polyester utility cord for $0.15/ft but that was 7 years ago. It would probably be a nice rope to use for tarp tiedown if you can't find inexpensive polyester elsewhere. I did a web search and came up with 100' spools of no-name 1/4" polyester rope for $15.00, which is pretty cheap, really. 1/4" Polyester Rope White

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
Also- I don't tie down my winter tarp. I just hang used plastic gallon bottles, half filled with water from each grommet. Keeps the tarp nice and tight and even sheds water and or heavy rain. If we get a big wet and heavy snow, the tarp will sag, but nothing breaks or tears since the bottles will simply get pulled up. As the heavy snow melts on a warm day the bottles will pull the tarp tight again. Has worked for me for at least 40 years