Bluewater Morgans - Out Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Katherine

Hello, I am reading quite diverse opinions on various websites on Morgans and their bluewater cruising capability. Some say yes and some say no. I would be very interested in hearing examples of Morgans (particularly the O/I 416) which have done bluewater cruising, crossed oceans, etc. Is this a boat which can cross the Atlantic? Thanks, Katherine

J

John B

Blue water Morgan

Here's a great article re: a 51 foot Morgan sailing from Texas via Key West and the Bahamas, through the Panama Canal and across the Pacific. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have a 415 ketch and am considering sailing/moving to Panama. http://www.io.com/~johnw/index.html

Jun 18, 2004
- - Clearwater
RE; Bluewater Morgans

Katherine, I know several people who have crossed the Atlantic in the 41 Out Island. The boat does not fit the general parameters given in many sources that define the "best" type of boat for such use, but Charley Morgan and I have had several discussions on the topic. You will also find a diagram out there that shows the capsize ratio makes the boat unsuitable for offshore use, however, we have determined that the diagram was done for one particular boat, Charley feels that it does not reflect the findings from their tank tests. I would not hesitate to cross the Atlantic in this boat once I made sure of a few other important items, i.e., 1) What is the condition of the rig? Is it old and tired or has it been replaced recently? Understand that the wire and chainplates are subject to fatigue over time and that any boat that you cross and ocean with should have the rigging in good shape. Same thing with the sails, engine, lifelines, and on and on and on. 2) What is the skill level of the crew and do they understand that you can't fight mother nature? Knowledge of weather patterns and when to go is more important than "Is the boat bluewater or not." The history of sailing is full of people who crossed oceans on boats that were not what we may label as seaworthy and they did it with a lot of knowledge, a lot of luck or both. Let me know when you're going and my son and I, both captains, may go along. He was born in England and wants to go back. Though we usually fly, we sold our Morgan 41 before doing the Atlantic, so we might enjoy the trip.;-) Regards, Mary Stoltz

T

Tony Gannon

Blue Water Morgan's

I have a Morgan 41 Classic 1988 and reading the log book after I bought her she has been from the east Coast thru Panama up the west coast back down and accross the Pacific to Hawaii. However, I also know that the previous owner refit the boat properly and that is the key. All systems where less than two years old when I purchased her so they where new when he made the trip. Another key is your experience and for sure get a survey. Regards, Tony PS I love my boat.

R

Ralph

Blue water Morgan

Quote......You will also find a diagram out there that shows the capsize ratio makes the boat unsuitable for offshore use, however, we have determined that the diagram was done for one particular boat, Charley feels that it does not reflect the findings from their tank tests.......Quote Made for what "particular Boat"? Is there such a diagram for a MORGAN 41 CLASSIC? Where could I find it? It is not in the owners manual. Is there a test of a MORGAN in any US sailing magazine? Unfortunately not here in Europe: Any input appreciatetd

Status
Not open for further replies.