Blue Water ?

DockH

May 14, 2011
Abbott 22 Lorain, Ohio
I'm seeking opinion on O'Day 34 for cruising Great Lakes and possibly Keys and Virgin Islands. I'm looking at a 1984 '34 now in almost like out of the factory condition but lightly sailed in one Great Lake only.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
What's the draft? No more than 5' for Keys. Need A/C south as well. Boat can do what you want. 40' is better though

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
What's the draft? No more than 5' for Keys. Need A/C south as well. Boat can do what you want. 40' is better though
You don't need A/C. This is only if you are staying in a marina full-time. Otherwise some fans are fine.

Personally I find smaller is better. It's all personal choices.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Florida or the VIs in the summer. You'll want A/C at the docks
I think a 34' would work. Bigger is better. :biggrin:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The O'Day 34 would be fantastic boat for the Great Lakes. The Florida Keys would be better in the shoal draft version, it looks like there are a lot of areas you can't get into with more than about 5'.
As long as the boat is in good condition and well set up it should be fine for the West Indies as well. My father sailed his Viking 33, which is a smaller and lighter boat than the O'Day 34, from Canada to the West Indies and back with no problems. I was on the boat for a few parts of the trip and found it to be perfectly sea worthy (even without A/C ;)).

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Florida or the VIs in the summer. You'll want A/C at the docks
I think a 34' would work. Bigger is better. :biggrin:
And a giant wallet stacked with cash! In STT it is $3/foot plus $0.70/kwh. It will cost close to the amount of the boat to be in the marina. Anchor out. You will adapt to the heat.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
We cruised the Keys and Bahamas on our O'Day 37cc that is similar to your 34. They are very strong, capable sailboats. Because of the boats age, make sure chainplates, standing and running rigging, and ground tackle are in top shape. And do get a modern anchor for the Keys and Bahamas. We have had a hard time with Bruces and Plows there. The bow of the boat can accept an electric windlass with a bit of modification.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
An electric windless is too much power and just something to break any boat is capable even 26' boats go to keys. Boat needs be set up for cruising 3 anchor battery banks extra fuel tanks water tanks. Water expensive on island

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
An electric windless is too much power and just something to break any boat is capable even 26' boats go to keys. Boat needs be set up for cruising 3 anchor battery banks extra fuel tanks water tanks. Water expensive on island
Huh?

An electric windlass for that boat shouldn't be too much under power unless you are just way undersized on your bank. My bank is only 200 amp hours, virtually all usable, and the windlass is nothing.

As far as water, we did the US East coast to Key Biscayne, the Bahamas, T&C, DR, PR and VI for 2 years with a 35 gallon tank and never had an issue and never paid more than $0.50 per gallon.

We have since added a watermaker but that was for convenience and Independence.