Blue water sailing in my catalina 27

Jan 6, 2010
Patrick,

There's no better feeling than having an adventure sailing your boat. That being said, the old adage, "Crawl before you walk" is paramount for offshore voyages. Just recently, two sailboats with experienced crew perished; along with the crew. The latest in the Atlantic.

I didn't see any info in your public profile, so I have no idea of your sailing experience & waters sailed. The name Pacific Ocean belies the true nature of this sea. It is anything but Pacific. Add to this breakdowns, electrical/mechanical failures, passenger injuries etc. These are big responsibilities to take on. You REALLY need to be prepared.

When I started out some 30+ years ago, I took baby steps. #1 learn, I mean really learn your boat, how to sail & gain experience. #2 gain experience on all aspects of boat maintenance/repairs/jury rigging etc. #3 start taking 2 day coastal trips & increase this as you go & gain experience & confidence. Remember, You're not on the clock or calendar, it's not the destination, it's enjoying the trip that is important. Take the time for the experience to be enjoyable.

Finally, A C27 is a coastal sailboat (abit tender for big seas) & not a blue weather boat. When seas get big, boats get small. When I visit the Caribbean, Yucatan etc. I fly to my destination & charter a boat there. I would rather spend my vacation time @ my destination rather than a week or more sailing in who knows what conditions in a small boat.

Just my thoughts pal.

CR

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
The other day while leaving the harbor a kayaker said "Nice boat, could you sail that to Hawaii ?"
My first thought "If I HAD to, but I'd rather not, I've only got 50 gallons of water".
A Catalina 30 once drifted to Hawaii when the sailor "disappeared" somewhere between Dana Point and San Diego.
Just getting between San Francisco and San Diego is difficult enough that it's not done regularly by many people.
BTW In a gale you can't help but think at least once "I shoulda brought a bigger boat" even on a bigger boat.;)

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
No.......I would not take a 27 Catalina on an extended offshore passage. Captain Ron has good advice and once your out at sea you are on your own your survival is based on your skills and expereince and we see all the time the most skilled and experienced lost and gone forever.:naughty:

Put the adventure novels down and pinch yourself hard! Do you really want an ocean passage? If so buy the right boat....................Catalina :eek::eek::eek:

Bob
1988 30 Mark II

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
There should be a sub forum created just for these "can my........(fill in the blank) sail around the world?" questions. Seems like it's a daily new topic.

Jan 27, 2012
Catalina 30 Vashon
Lotsa good thoughts above. Can you? Yes. Guys in west wight potter 19s have. Have Catalina's sailed in blue water? Yes, but pick your time and course carefully to match the limitation of the boat. Do you want to? Well that requires a beer not a blog.

Dec 20, 2012
Thanks for all the input especially Capt. Ron. Yes my dreams are big but I have seen cruising Leah Leah and they're doing it in a 27 foot Vega and I just was wondering about Catalina 27. Thanks again dailors

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 35 and Mariner 2+2 Alexandria, VA
Most modern boats "can" survive the trip. It is not matter of size, but much more a matter of how the boat is fitted out. Things such as cockpit drainage, watertight compartmentation, how the hull to deck joint is constructed etc. all play a huge role in a boat's ability to take on blue water. My current boat is an O'Day 35, and while have been over every inch, and inspected nearly every nut, bolt, wire, sheave, turnbuckle and halyard, I accept the fact that she is a coastal boat. Her relatively flat bottom and shallow 4'6" draft make her ideal for the east coast and perhaps even the Bahamas. But, she can be very abrupt in her motion which is not very sea-kindly in 6 foot seas and would easily be unbearable in anything greater.

I would love to believe that my boat could cross an ocean, it comes down to whether the crew would be happy about it. With the right weather, crew and not just a little luck, boats far less sound than mine, or yours have made epic voyages. But you have to weigh all the information before setting out on any journey, and empirically look at your vessel, being able to trust in it completely. If the numbers don't add up, it doesn't make your boat any less proud, or you any less a mariner. It just means use the boat where she's meant to be used and enjoy the voyage.

Jun 3, 2014
dont have a boat jet dont have a boat jet dont have a boat jet
i agree that size of the boat is not the most important thing, the way its built is

Last edited: