Blue water sailin a C-26

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alvaro Peters

I'm planning on sailing my C-26 across the Gulf of Mexico to Yucatan and down the Central American Coast to the San Blas Islands. I'm very confident in my boat. I've been told that the C-26 "can take anything you can through at it. We survived hurricane Katrina. Has anyone eversail this boat on a blue water cruise? I will appreciate any and all replies. Thank you Al Peters s/v BRAT

B

Bob

Be careful!

A good friend of mine has a Chrysler 26. While it is a well built and solid boat, it is in my view not a blue water boat. His swing-keel cable broke (it was only a year old), allowing the keel to drop and crack the trunk enough for water to come in. And in my view the keel pin is too small for the margin of safety necessary for taking her offshore. In mild weather she would probably do fine, but if you had any exciting situations, you might get more excitement than you want.

B

Beau Leake

Hey, Al !

How are you ? We got C26 Emergency Exit home from Bonfouca about 11PM that night, had a flat along the way. NO BLISTERING on the hull anywhere. Work is moving along on the interior, portlights redone, all leaks stopped. As far as the gulf, I don't know enough to comment. Beau

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Yucatan

Hi Al, Have you considered doing the coastal route. There are some neat places along the way if you follow the coast. While I can't say anything positive about Tampico, I love Vera Cruz. I am planning a similar trip, hopefully this fall/winter. I currently have an S2 28. Looking into moving up, but would not have any problem making this trip in the 28. When are you planning on going. I have a friend with an Allied 39, and we are discussing going that way in the not too distant future. We may even take a little more time, and go to Key West and then across. No definate plans as of this date.

A

Al Peters

C-26

Thanx for your reply. I'm planning for Nov. of 07. Let's keep in touch. Al

A

Al Peters

Brat

Hi Beau, it's good to hear from you. I'm glad you fixing yours. I love my C-26 and I know you love yours, hi to the Mrs. Al

A

Al Peters

Thanx

Hi Bob, Thanx for the warning, I didn't know that. I inted to install a larger pin if possible. I just installed a new cable. Al

Status
Not open for further replies.