Blue water cruiser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

What boats are recommended for Blue Water cruising? Typical length? Brands?

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Blue Water blues...

Wow, what a loaded question!!! The most popular length has increased from 36' in the older days to about 42-43' at present. The "best" brands?! The expensive ones! All kidding aside, one can get into serious choices (and money!) here... Ranger, Valiant, Baba, Alajuela, Tayana, Island Packet, Westerly, Hans Christian, Pacific Seacraft (or any "Crealock"), to name just a few. Then there are custom yachts, and we haven't even touched on ocean-going catatmarans or trimarans yet! The choice of a boat is dictated by the wallet, the head, and the heart, but not necessarily in that order...

M

Mike Gallagher

Looking for a low priced blue water cruiser?

Mike, I may get some difference of opinion about this but if you are looking for a lower priced bluewater capable boat, check out the Pacific seacraft Flicka. It's not built anymore but there are used ones available. It's a small boat but Flickas have sailed all over the world in some of the worst conditions possible. www.pacificseacraft.com

J

Jay Hill

Used, Definitely Used

For example, just this weekend I fell in love with a 1982 Hans Christian 43' Cutter Ketch in as-new condition. Every aspect of the entire vessel says it was taken meticulous care of by professionals or extremely knowledgable persons. Rigged with everything but wind generator. All instruments and electronics in working order. Price? $128,000! A steal if you offered around $100-110K. Just an example of what you can run across if you look long enough. At the same marina there are two H36 Cherubinis sitting side-by-side, both for sale - roughly $30K area. There are also Swan, CSY, CandC, and Starrett and Jenks for sale on the same dock ranging from $125K to $500k. It all depends on what you're looking for.

G

Greg Stebbins

Jay,

Where the hell were you and do you have name(s)/number(s)?

J

Jay Hill

Kemah Harbor Marina

...was the origin. Smallest sailboat was 22' (saw only two or three at that size) and the largest was 103' LOA currently under restoration. Dozens of boats over 50'. There are currently 14 owners on HOW with Kemah as homeport. there are a lot of marinas there, but I'd be interested to know those that are at Kemah Harbor at 555 Bradford St. I looked at lots of Hunters and will be there fairly often. Would love to hook up and go sailing with fellow HOW folx. Please respond or email. Names and Numbers have been changed to protect the innocent. Refer to phone conversation.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
SMALL Blue water boats...

I didn't recall "small" being mentioned, but if we're talking small, but bigger than a Flicka, we should mention the Bristol Channel Cutter. One of the strongest small boats ever designed (and VERY pretty!).

J

Jay Hill

OH yeah, found a great book on buying

I am often asked from my clients "What should I look for in a boat?" As you can imagine, this vague question usually indicates the person really wants a boat, but may not know what comes with boat ownership. I've been looking for books that explain the process of buying a sailboat in layman's terms which led to two conclusions: 1) If you use layman's terms, you can't describe a boat, so that's pretty pointless. 2) There are only two ways to shop for boats. To address #1, if a person doesn't know enough about sailboats to understand basic components and descriptions of parts (shrouds, combings, winches, spreaders, etc.) then they probably fall into the first category of "two ways to shop for boats" explained below. For #2, here are the two ways: A) Buy the first one that really does it for you. This means that little attention can be paid to equippage, tankage, condition, resale value, cost, insurance, slip fees, etc. B) Do your homework and (unfortunately) be patient by comparing various vessels by equippage, purpose, condition, sailability, etc. I think I've finally found the book for group B, but would still recommend it for those in Group A so you'll know what you're getting into. This book provides HOW-to instructions for assessing the capability of the boat and grading its ability to meet your goals. The book has worksheets for scoring boats then weighing the scores against other boats. It gives checklists for first visit, sea trials, surveys, offer, negotiating, etc. I was very pleased to find that the book is also for sail...uh...sale, right here at HOW. The book is How to Buy the Best Sailboat by Chuck Gustafson. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great books that provide great reviews and detailed information about boats. The one mentioned, though, provides a means of evaluating what you want the boat for, where it will be used, how it will be used, how often it will be used, what equipment, it has, etc. for any sailboat. All you have to do is assign weights to the assessments then cut the check for the right boat. (Well, it's almost that easy.) I recommend anyone looking to buy a boat, whether frist time or moving up, take a look at the book to get a few pointers. There's even a chapter on how to sell your current boat if you're moving up. Hope this helps. Jay 46

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Agreed

Chuck's book nursed me through my first sailboat purchase. It's very good and unique, so far as I know, in that it presents no biases, or specs, but simply helps you step through the process of assessment, evaluation, and purchase.

T

Tom M.

Flicker??, before flicker was the P.S. 25 ,for $13

This little trailable 25' dbl ender, is built as good as any flicker with a lot more style, she's also a cutter rig, selling for 1/3 to 1/4 the price of a Flicker, but there is one small drawback, to maintain her graceful style, she's only got 5 foot headroom throught, but her lines are liken to a Baba, or Hans C. she is truly sweet. My choise in blue water boats, is one of the few boats that was designed and built for blue water the english Nicholson 31 or 32, these boats were made for blue water in and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.