Blue sea switch

Apr 22, 2019
Hunter 44ds Rothesay
Hi can anyone tell me what this blue sea switch (upper right in first picture) is for. I have attached a front side picture as well as backside picture. As you can see the switch only has one wire attached. At least I now understand why it appears to have no impact. Still I am curious what it is for. Thanks

20200212_193548.jpg
20200212_193647.jpg

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Have you looked at what is at the other end of the red connected wire?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
And... it's not grounded (no black wire) so whatever it's purpose before.... it ain't now. Prev owner probably left it so there wouldn't be a hole... and to drive next owner crazy.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looking at the attached red wire to the back single side pole, the apparent diameter of the red wire and that the connector on the other side of the switch is open... I would be very cautious about not flicking the switch off and on.

The possibilities as to what is does can range from nothing here, now, to causing a power disruption in a parallel galaxy.

I would trace the red wire to its other end to identify where it is attached.

I just love a mysterious wire on a boat.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Big breaker (40 ampere), big wire.. The wire is attached to the "Load" terminal, so the input power would be properly tied to the "line" terminal, which is empty.. Maybe an (another?) air conditioner? It is close to the DC power switches, so something planned with a big DC load maybe?

Apr 22, 2019
Hunter 44ds Rothesay
Looking at the attached red wire to the back single side pole, the apparent diameter of the red wire and that the connector on the other side of the switch is open... I would be very cautious about not flicking the switch off and on.

The possibilities as to what is does can range from nothing here, now, to causing a power disruption in a parallel galaxy.

I would trace the red wire to its other end to identify where it is attached.

I just love a mysterious wire on a boat.
Agree... I will trace it back.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Not a factory install, The red wire will only lead to the (+) supply line. The appliance it was serving was likely removed.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
With new technology needing less power I found breakers no longer needed on our boat. Maybe you could add an ice maker or windlass.