Blue Book Value

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 29, 2009
Seidelman S-37 Mobile
Does anyone on here know if there is an existing blue book listing the value of a used boat? I would appreciate any knowledge you may have since this involves a legal matter.
Thanks everyone and happy holidays to all.:)

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I've never heard of a blue book value for a boat. May be one though. I think a surveyor might be the one to know. Or perhaps ask a insurance broker about replacement values.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
NADA is a joke. BUC is a little better but is often low.

Your best bet to find the proper value would be a surveyor. If this is an insurance matter, the insurance co. probably will accept nothing less than a certified survey.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I agree with Tim but my personal experience is that surveyors often over-estimate value just as NADA et.al.

You would be best served to find actual sales figures in your geographic area which are contemporary. That kind of data can be obtained from any broker, almost all of whom have access to real sales figures via a few sources not publicly (or freely) available.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
No matter what source book you refer to, it is not a definite value for any particular brand and model of boat because you can have two boats, same make, same year, same model sitting next to each other and they can have totally different values. One can be a fresh water boat and another a salt water boat. One can be very well maintained and another in deplorable condition (or anywhere in between). One can be very well equipped and another be marginally equipped. Equipment and sails can be newer on one, or a mix match between the two. Each boat has to be further examined and it gets very subjective. These used boat guidelines are averages. I have seen two boats that are exactly the same brand and model and year, but they are so different in appearance and equipment you might not recognize them as the same model.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I should add that some boats have higher values in different parts of the country because of demand in a particular brand for whatever reason. And, some boats might have a very low value because of an area of the country that might be experiencing a poor economy/market place.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
You want the value of your husbands boat to be higher for a bigger pay out in the divorce settlement

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Just do what I did, call BoatUS, and ask them for a quote for insurance. I thought my 1974 Hunter 25 was well off their charts and asked for a quote based on stated value, only to find that their estimate of its value was only $365 less than mine and the premiums for full coverage were half.

Definition of a no-brainer there.

Status
Not open for further replies.