Blooper/Gennaker tack point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2009
Hunter 33.5 Vancouver
We just bought a 1992 hunter 33.5. The boat came with a sail the previous owners called a blooper, not sure of the difference between a blooper and a genaker but basically appears to be the same thing.

The mast is rigged with a halyard for the sail and there are turning blocks on the deck beside the cockpit so looked like we were ready to go, however, we go to the bow and there is no rigging set up to tack the sail down.

Can anyone recommend how to set up the tack for a blooper / gennaker on a early 90's hunter 33.5?

Thanks

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
the blooper is a strange beast, it is not a a cruising chute. the blooper was used with a spinnaker on downwind legs when sailing deep.
the sail is very full at the bottom and is designed to pick up the wind from under the main when it is winged out. So it flys very close to the water and billows out like a big loose full sail as you go up behind the main it gets narrow at the top so it does not block air to the chute.

I think the tack is flown on a pennant from the bow but be careful. it is a powerful sail designed to go what seems like upside down, and it has narrow angles of attack so its not forgiving for a helmsman.

good luck.

Oct 18, 2009
Hunter 33.5 Vancouver
Thanks for the input. I have had another look at the sail (hoised it to see the shape and size) and done some searching on sail types. I think the previous owners reference to the sail being a blooper was mistaken. The sail appears to be a typical cruising gennaker which makes more sense as there is not a conventional chute to run a blooper with. So if anyone has suggestions on how to run the tack on a gennaker for hunter 33.5 that would be appreciated. I have seen some discussion on running the tack line through the bail on the anchor roller then back to a deck cleat. This would work but sounds like there is concern with damaging the bail on the anchor roller??

Cheers,

Shane

Dec 3, 2003
None None Rochester, NY
I have a 33.5 with a cruising spinnaker. My chute has a permanent 5 or 6 foot tack, and I use the anchor roller as a connection point. Ideally, I would secure a block on the anchor roller and run the tack back to the cockpit for greater control. There has been no damage to the anchor roller caused by the spinnaker.

I love flying the spinnaker, but sometimes wonder if it is really worth it. It can be a hand-full at times. Do you have a sock on it?

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Fear not! the bail on the anchor roller is plenty strong enough to handle the job.

Ed is correct about the 'blooper'. Most folks incorrectly call the cruising spinnaker a blooper but it isn't. The cut of a blooper is completely different and as he notes it is flown well to leeward of the main.

If you run the tack line of the spinnaker through a block on the anchor roller you can then lead it aft to the cockpit where you can control the tack height of the sail for various points of sail and wind speed. The deeper you sail the further out the tack will want to be set.

I highly recommend playing with your new sail, you'll love it. It's a blast to fly!!

Oct 18, 2009
Hunter 33.5 Vancouver
Thanks All,

Yes we have a sock on the sail Ken.

Looks like I have something to do this weekend.

Should be nice.

Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.