Block Specifications

KXL

Jun 8, 2021
Beneteau Oceanis 343 New London
Where can I find the specifications for the single blocks at the bottom of the mast of my Beneteau 343?
One of them (that runs the Vang Line) has cracked, although they are all 17 years old now and are probably ready to be replaced.
Any suggestions on replacement blocks would be great. I am a cruiser, so don't need top of the line.
Thank you.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

What is the diameter of the lines that run through the blocks you want to replace? The block is sized to fit the line diameter and you need to consider if you want it to swivel and a means to attach it to a fitting on the mast, boom or deck. You can purchase these at a local or on-line marine chandlery. Prices range for about $12+ each.

Last edited:

KXL

Jun 8, 2021
Beneteau Oceanis 343 New London
Hi Sail SFBay, thanks for the response! I found the manual and this position at the bottom of the mast is for the Main Sheet, which is 7/16" (11mm).

I am more concerned about the weight capacity. I found some blocks on Defender.com, but they state "Not to be used lifting persons", which I would expect to do with the halyards. How can I determine what weight capacity for each block, as they are all old.

Thanks for your help!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Just go internet shopping and look for a 11 mm single block with high breaking strength and maximum working load OR contact block manufacturers to find blocks that meet your minimum weight rating requirements OR service requriements.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The Beneteau spare parts site isn’t really clear on the size or safe working load of those blocks. I’d measure it then get something from Harken or Lewmar of the same sheave size. Anything from those companies of that size should be at least adequate compared to the OEM version. Since it’s just tie single block for redirecting the line the working load shouldn’t be too high. The vang is usually pulled on just by hand, and the single block can only be subjected to twice the line tension. There could be shock loads to bring the requirements higher, but it’s not like you’re dealing with a winched line or the output of a multipart setup.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
If it cannot lift a person it does not belong on a boat.