Black Pearl and fuel tanks etc

Jun 22, 2004
Hunter 35 St Augustine
Black Pearl is now at Rumerys Boat Yard where we are starting on some of my wish list.

The fuel tanks are going to be fixed, they filled with water as soon as we launched her this spring, building a new cockpit, new bottom and topside paint, try to stop the major cabin top leaks, rebuild the galley,
and general maintenance. I have lots of pictures that I can share and will keep everybody posted about the fuel tanks. The engine worked fine all summer so I am hoping it will survive a few more years.
The mast was replaced by aluminum before I bought the boat and the sails were not cut correctly. So a new Jib and maybe just recut the main although it is smaller than it should be.
We had a great summer with some local sailing. Also won the Windsong Race at Biddeford Pool. We were up against some fast production boats.

I am leaving Nov. 14th for a trip from the Canaries across the Alantic to Antigua on Thunderhead a 49 ft Phillip Rhodes Wooden Cutter. Check the Website at http://www.Oncearound.org.

David

Jun 17, 2004
Macgregor 26x Morecambe
boat work

Whit,

Sounds like you and I will have a lot of common projects. I'm waiting for a couple of Brownell boat stands to come into stock at West Marine before I start working on mine. I've got it on homemade stands in the driveway, but I'm not really ready to get on it yet until I'm really sure that it is as stable as it can be. I'll also be doing something with the fuel tanks, building a new cockpit, and grinding/painting the topsides. Let's talk more when you get back.

David

David

Jun 17, 2004
Macgregor 26x Morecambe
fuel tanks and Once Around

I just got a chance to have a closer look at the Once Around site. Very neat, the boat looks like fun. Did you stay on the whole trip or just part? I found myself looking through the crew list and trying to guess which one you were, to no avail.

I'm getting ready to start on the fuel tanks. I have two of the steel covers off, but need to buy a cutting disk for my grinder to get a few bolts off the other two. At this point, I think I'll be drilling or pounding out the remnants of the old bolts and putting new bolts in. I imagine I'll have to use epoxy on the inside to get them to hold enough to tighten the bolts from the outside. After I clean and thouroughly dry the inside, I'm undecided about just using a barrier coating or if I should think about also using fuel bladders.

Any thoughts?
David