Bimini

Dec 2, 2010
Catalina 30mk cataumet Mass
Does anyone in the New England area have or know of a bimini that would work on a Catalina 30 (1995) that is for sale?
Can anyone in the New England recommend a reasonable canvas shop to get a new dodger, connector and bimini made?
THanks BobCat

Jan 6, 2010
Bob,

I have NOT used Sunbrella for over twenty years now. it loses it waterproofness after a year. It stretches, it deforms & it breaks down. it ALSO has NO wear properties.

I have used laminated, plasticizing products for years. It's a laminate product & they don't leak and/or stretch. If you use a brand with rip-stop threading, they will double the life of what you are using now with Sunbrella. I first saw this material as window coverings on BIG sport fisherman yachts.

Look around, as my last 3 materials were a laminated synthetic. The secret, is going with a canvas maker that KNOWS how to stitch/use this material. Some will say they do not work with these composition fabrics, so find one that does.

I can say, that my last 3 Biminis have lasted an average of 8-9 years on average. In the middle, I've had to re-thread, as industry standard stitching is not what you want to use. There IS a stitch material that has UV resistant properties unlike the standard run-of-the-mill types. You need just doing your due-diligence to find it.

Here's a partial pic of my latest bimini. It was not made as good as I had hoped, it wasn't the fabric, but rather the seamstress. Hopefully, it will give you something to think about.

CR

Attachments

May 8, 2015
Catalina c30 Marion
hello CaptnRon. I'm trying to price a Bimini for a 1995 C30. Could you give me a rough idea of the dimensions? Thank you. P.S. I'm 5'9"

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
All, I found this site a while ago (probably looking through the forums), and they do appear to be the best deal I've found so far. They offer a few different materials, pick your hardware, etc...
I have NO experience with them aside from ordering material color samples. But, I planned on ordering one sometime soon when my wife lets me spend more money on the boat...

:)

http://www.anp.ca/

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Believe it or not I just got a plain old Taylor Made three bow Sunbrella bimini from Boaters World when they were going out of business - I think it was 2009.

I paid $100 figuring I could get a season out of it while I was figuring out what I wanted in a bimini. I marked the top for the backstays and had the local canvas guy put in zippers for them.

It's not perfect and I'll probably replace it after this season. But after seven years I really can't complain. A brand new version of what I have is around $325 and is available in a couple of different colors.

If you have a canvas guy do the zippers you could get him to do an extension to the dodger at the same time. The attached thumbnail will give you an idea how it looks on the boat.

Attachments

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
Reefing cars

We are buying a used 1985 Catalina 30. The reefing cars on the starboard side of the boom are broken. I've looked on CatalinaOwners, CatalinaDirect & Gauheur for them and can not find any.

Any idea where I can find replacements?

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
OS2,
You may wish to start a new thread for this.

My reeding car is also shot in that the sheeve has rotted away. You can drill out the pin and install a new sheeve, that's what I plan to do, time permitting.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
We are buying a used 1985 Catalina 30. The reefing cars on the starboard side of the boom are broken. I've looked on CatalinaOwners, CatalinaDirect & Gauheur for them and can not find any. Any idea where I can find replacements? Thanks!
I removed the end plate and installed a three sheave system by cutting a larger opening. Up front I cut an opening under the boom to accept a double sheave box. Together with deck organizers I can now reef from the cockpit. All the lines are internal. Also removed the car slide for my new loose footed main. This allows the reefing lines to be tied to the boom. A much cleaner look and the lines are not exposed to the weather. No topping lift. I installed a boom kicker.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
All, I found this site a while ago (probably looking through the forums), and they do appear to be the best deal I've found so far. They offer a few different materials, pick your hardware, etc... I have NO experience with them aside from ordering material color samples. But, I planned on ordering one sometime soon when my wife lets me spend more money on the boat... :) http://www.anp.ca/
My wife and I lived on a 51 footer in the Caribbean for over 12 years. We had a custom Dodger/Bimini with side curtains and every year we brushed Thompson clear deck sealer on it. The new owner is still using the same sumbrella Bimini that we had. That makes it16 years so far. There are two types of Sumbrella material. The better one comes with a coating in the underside.