Bimini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2010
Catalina 310 Lake Pueblo
Does anyone have the factory Bimini that was an option on the 2001 model year? My opinion, this Bimini is not user friendly. Theirs 2 options, on or completely off. I would like to modify it to make it shorter, aft to bow, and be able to fold up against the backstay. Has anyone tried this? Or would it be better to just get different design?

Attachments

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Mine (2005 factory installed) has a 4-5 foot bimini over the helm with a connector piece that zips between the bimini and dodger if I ever want to cover the whole cockpit. A canvas maker could cut yours and install zippers so you have the option to open it up-you'd need to add straps and eyes to the frame to keep it tight.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 350 Tacoma, WA WA
I JUST bought a bimini from SailBoatOwners, and worked really hard to measure and configure it to fold up with a boot against and around the split backstay. The bows mount to the aft pushpit rails on the OUTSIDE, and the bimini covers the thrill seats on the rail. It folds and stows in less than 5 minutes, and is exactly what I hoped for. The connector panel to the dodger is in the future, but IS planned. Total cost was $1550, I believe, and included all stainless poles and fittings. The outside rail mounts I bought from Sailrite. Quality is very good, in my opinion.

If you wish, I could email you the information I sent to SailBoatOwners.

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma, WA

Nov 17, 2009
Catalina C-310 Falmouth
J: This is very interesting. Do you have any pictures of the Bimini? Would love to see it.

Aug 17, 2010
Catalina 310 Lake Pueblo
Jon,

Thanks for the offer. It would be great to see your Bimini measuments. Do you have any pictures? My email address is bjb at coloradobeamers dot com

Thanks

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 350 Tacoma, WA WA
I mounted the bimini to the aft rail as in the pictures using these: http://www.sailrite.com/Split-Side-Mount-1-Stainless-Steel.

The measures I cannot find, but the worksheet for taking them is attached here.
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/emp/measure/r.htm?s=bimini

Your measures are what matter, but a little care, and the result will be great. One last thing. I asked the maker to add a zipper on the front to allow a future filler between the dodger and the bimini, and he did that also. I am very satisfied.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.