bimini top on macgregor 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2013
macgregor 26 welaka florida
We recently acquired a 2008 Macgregor 26 and have a bimini top called Scout;
the thing is that the bimini cannot be raised while under sail because the boom is about 4 inches below the top; the boom is secured to the mast at its current location and cannot be raised without drilling new holes.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so would like to hear from you.

Wheelers

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
Bimini clearance

Yea, we have that same issue. We simply don't sail with the bimini up, we can motor though, using the topping lift we can raise the boom above the bimini and then have the bimini up, same as being docked, we do the same thing. When it comes to serious sailing the bimini stays down, the cushions go below, anything that moves get stowed and we are healing 20-30 degrees. This is no conditions for creature comforts just good performance sailing in average 15 knots wind. Forget about that bimini when sailing and just get out there and sail.:dance:

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Can you cut down the bimini frame?

Loads of SPF 30+ sunscreen?

Jun 16, 2013
macgregor 26 welaka florida
high bimini or low boom.

Yea, we have that same issue. We simply don't sail with the bimini up, we can motor though, using the topping lift we can raise the boom above the bimini and then have the bimini up, same as being docked, we do the same thing. When it comes to serious sailing the bimini stays down, the cushions go below, anything that moves get stowed and we are healing 20-30 degrees. This is no conditions for creature comforts just good performance sailing in average 15 knots wind. Forget about that bimini when sailing and just get out there and sail.:dance:
I see you're in BC. The heat here in inland Florida is harsh.

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
No problem raising the boom. It's just held on with pop rivets. The problem is you will need to cut down you mainsail. I have the same problem. My bimini is built to be used at anchor or slipped. I can walk under it and it extends over the cabin. What I'm working on is a helmsman bimini. It will be a small bimini attatched to the stern pulpit. It will also be my mount for more solar panels.

Apr 8, 2013
MacGregor 26D North East, MD
I have my boom in the factory location. I cut the legs of my Bimini down by about 5 inches using a tubing cutter. Reinstalled the fittings and it works great. Close hauled it does rub a little bit but no real problems

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
lowering the attachment point will do the trick. where is it currently mounted?

at the rub rail usually enough.... (for 36" bimini heights)

May 9, 2013
Macgregor 26M Hollywood
We just acquired a 2008 26M this year. We've been out about 4 times thus far and are slowly learning the routine (or at least we thought so until our latest outting). Anyway we can manage to have the bimini up and the sail at the same time. We attach the straps to for the bimini to the stantions for the safety lines. See attached picture. The booms slightly scrapes across the top of the bimini but does move from side to side.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.