Bimini mount solar panel install advice

May 10, 2004
Hunter MH 37 Manitowoc, WI
I purchased solar panels to install on my Bimini of my Marlow Hunter 37. My plan is to run the wiring behind the cockpit speaker panel and feed the wires down the arch on the port side and to the main power panel area.
Any tricks to feeding the wires down the arch?
Is there a wire run or conduit down the port side that supplies the speaker and light wires to the arch that is easy to access?
If you've done this on a H38, H39 or MH 37/40, is there anything you would do differently?

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
If the arch is constructed like the MH 33 then with some persistence you will be able to get 10 AWG through the arch to your power panel via a conduit. The arch tubes are hollow until where they bolt together. Unfortunately at that point the tube ends are closed off. Fortunately there are holes in each piece that allow wires to be fished through. This is also the case where the arch leg is bolted to the boat. This is a link that may help to get you started.
Hunter Arch

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
that approach worked on our 356. it's tricky to get thru the tube junctions and you might run a fish tape up from the hull to pinpoint the holes in the deck

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I did this a few years ago on my 2009 H36. Don't know how much is translatable to your 39, but my guess is it will be similar.

As the other posters have said, where the arch tubes meet they are closed off with small holes for wiring drilled through. I ran my solar panel wire into the overhead of the arch, under the speaker cover, then down the port side arch and into the port cockpit locker where I installed the solar controller. But...

I ran a camera into the arch to see what I had to work with, and it wasn't good. There are two holes drilled through the arch end caps through which Hunter ran the speaker wires, and the wire for the dome light in the cockpit. Those holes are NOT generously sized. I cut my speaker wire in the port cockpit locker where its accessible and pulled a thin line up into the cockpit with the idea that I'd use it to pull the speaker wires AND the solar panel wires back down. That ultimately failed because the hole drilled into the end caps of the arch weren't big enough for that much wire. So I decided to sacrifice the speakers (I hated those things anyway as they blast the helmsman and don't sound great to anyone else) and pulled the solar panel wires through. Now I just use battery powered Bose bluetooth wireless speakers in the cockpit and they sound great to everyone. And the solar panel wiring is invisible.

I've posted the photo of the inside of the arch somewhere on SBO before, but trust me, its tight in there. Someone smarter than me could probably get all those wires to go through, but I couldn't manage it. Maybe different boats have different size holes drilled, I dunno. Hope that helps.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
I purchased solar panels to install on my Bimini of my Marlow Hunter 37. My plan is to run the wiring behind the cockpit speaker panel and feed the wires down the arch on the port side and to the main power panel area.
Any tricks to feeding the wires down the arch?
Is there a wire run or conduit down the port side that supplies the speaker and light wires to the arch that is easy to access?
If you've done this on a H38, H39 or MH 37/40, is there anything you would do differently?
I did this last summer on my '07 H38. Panels are mounted above the rear of the bimini and over the davits behind the boom. I built a frame with 1" tube and triangulated it well, mounted the panels to that, about 2" above bimini.

On my boat the wires in the traveller arch come up the starboard side from inside the ceiling panel in the aft cabin through a hole in the base plate of the traveller arch into the tubing. First, I assumed there would be a similar hole on the port side tubing base plate and attempted to run the wires that side. I was wrong. It has to go down the port side.

I have 8awg from the panels (in series, 2 leads), I run down the edge of the bimini, and attach the leads using waxed lacing cord and little 1/4" snips of rubber fuel injection hose as standoffs. The leads some down the tube into the space above the aft cabin ceiling. Then aft to the stern locker, down the bulkhead and back under the aft cabin bunk following the route of the cockpit shower hoses.

From there it goes across to port, passing through where the macerator and shower pump is, underneath the port hanging locker, under the shower pan, and finally under the nav station seat. My controller, ANL, and breaker are all mounted there.

I used a metal fish tape to push some masonry line through first, then used the masonry line as a pull cord.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I had good luck sending solar wires down my arch where the wires for speakers come out and first I used electrical snake down and than I tied a line and used strong line and that worked great.
I also drilled larger hole in arch near the speakers to use for running line and than wires for solar and my controller is under my nav station.
Nick

Feb 23, 2018
Hunter 356 Marseille
I did this 0n m'y h356. had to drill a hole in thé rear port Locker under thé arch plate. about half a gallon of water poured out... thé Solar charger is in thé main lazerette.

May 10, 2004
Started my installation. Installed the controller behind the port settee. Cables pass through a 1-3/4 inch hole into the cable locker. I chose this location as the locker under the helm seat didn't have enough ventilation and clearance. Locker below the settee was already occupied with the charger and inverter.

May 10, 2004
The remote panel for the solar controller was installed above the HVAC thermostat.
Solar Remote installed.jpg

Jun 27, 2022
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 349 Toronto
I use a light and fish the wires from the inside to make sure you don't lose track before they get to the solar panels.

Last edited: