Bimini and Dodger replacement

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I seem to recall a thread or info a long time ago about a marine canvass place that would "reproduce" or copy your existing Bimini and Dodger if you sent it to them. I can't seem to find it though. Does anyone recall this or have a link to a company that might do this and/or have exerience with such a company?

The reason I am asking is I have some side curtains that are in excellent condition and used only a few times.

Any info or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
In your area there should be more than one canvas shop that can do what you describe, and it doesn't necessarily have to be "marine" canvas. RV and automotive upholsterers are certainly capable of duplicating pieces and sections and sewing them together. When it comes to this kind of work, the high cost is in design, building and installation of the frame. Then, of course, the design, measuring, cutting and installation of the covering. Which will require a number of trips between shop and boat. Here, you're not asking the craftsman to design or install, or even travel........just duplicate. Because you've stated that you are capable of re installing the new.

But, by far the most difficult part of building a dodger is getting everything to fit properly... and that's why they cost so damn much money... because every boat and every design are just a little different. But.... Yippee.... you alread have the pieces/patterns that fit your boat.. so... the hard part is done. There isn't a canvas shop anywhere that won't jump at the opportunity to make money that easily.

So.., take some pics of everything, including the pieces you DON'T want made, so they can see how the new parts will integrate with the old, then assemble a portfolio with a letter stating your needs and ask for recommendations for modern upgrades, such as glass, thread and canvas quality. Trim material has changed over the years, they no longer use leather, but a much tougher, longer lasting synthetic material. Anyway, make some copies and send out the package to at least 7 or 8 shops and ask for bids. Choose the one you feel most comfortable with and the least flakey.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Any info or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks
I looked at the site mentioned above, canvas and cushions, and couldn't find any reference to reproducing the customer's existing pieces. Plus all the products that are mentioned are generally very simple canvass projects that could be completed with very basic measurments. What they advertise is an inventory of pre cut patterns that would be augmented by your measurements. This is different than having them take your dodger sections and reproducing them. Similar? Yes, but not the same.
Dodgers, in every case I've seen, are all custom made. If you do a little research you'll discover this unfortunate fact.
It would be wise to discuss this with a technicial at the company for clarification and a price quote. But there are so many canvas or upholstery shops around you really should get a number of quotes, for price and delivery date. Good Luck.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
One consideration is that the assembly you want duplicated needs to be in fairly decent condition and not all blown out, stretched out and wind shredded.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Or shrunk, which is what happens to Sunbrella. They must know how to deal with this.

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
Fabricating a new tensioned canvas from an old one is a bad idea. The existing dodger and bimini on your boat presumably were patterned and fabricated for a snug fit, once the individual pieces are sewn together they take on a 3 dimensional shape which can not be laid flat on a table for copying. Adding to the original 3D shape, once those pieces are mounted on the frame and pulled tight the fabric itself will stretch in areas under heavy tension and shrink in areas of low tension further distorting in a 3D form that can not be laid flat on a table for accurate copying. Your situation of having servicable side panels and worn out bimini is not unique, and a quality shop will not fabricate a new top to fit existing side panels. The reason being is it’s nearly impossible to pattern a frame for the top while having the existing side panels in position and under tension as if attached to the top. Getting start and stop locations for zippers would be a crap shoot. There are companies out there that will copy an old piece but I guarantee it will not be as good of a fit, I have witnessed this on customers boats where I have advised against this practice but they went ahead and had it done anyway. I’ve never seen one come back with a good fit.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Fabricating a new tensioned canvas from an old one is a bad idea. The existing dodger and bimini on your boat presumably were patterned and fabricated for a snug fit, once the individual pieces are sewn together they take on a 3 dimensional shape which can not be laid flat on a table for copying. Adding to the original 3D shape, once those pieces are mounted on the frame and pulled tight the fabric itself will stretch in areas under heavy tension and shrink in areas of low tension further distorting in a 3D form that can not be laid flat on a table for accurate copying. Your situation of having servicable side panels and worn out bimini is not unique, and a quality shop will not fabricate a new top to fit existing side panels. The reason being is it’s nearly impossible to pattern a frame for the top while having the existing side panels in position and under tension as if attached to the top. Getting start and stop locations for zippers would be a crap shoot. There are companies out there that will copy an old piece but I guarantee it will not be as good of a fit, I have witnessed this on customers boats where I have advised against this practice but they went ahead and had it done anyway. I’ve never seen one come back with a good fit.
I have heard this several times, especially from canvas makers. It's just so seductive to imagine one can send one's canvas in and have it duplicated - so quick, easy, less expensive....

Does anyone have a story of this actually working out well? Or a canvas maker who says he can do it?

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
Well, I do own a canvas shop so have some knowledge on the subject. I don’t have any stories of one that has turned out well but a customer asked me to do it, I explained why it’s a bad idea and that I wouldn’t do it. A few months later I was walking by his boat and noticed he had a new bimini that had a terrible fit, super baggy in the middle and the old side panels didn’t fit either. As I was looking it over shaking my head at how bad it came out the guy popped out( I didn’t realize he was on the boat) and asked if I could make some new straps for him so he can take some sag out!
He had sent the old top to the company that originally made it to duplicate. Unfortunately they did not keep their patterns, some companies do so you can order a new replacement.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Thanks for the input. That is the kind of perspective I was looking for and I appreciate the experience you have @Spindrift NH. I see your avitar says you are in Charleston and do you still have a canvas shop? Do you come to Beaufort SC or would I need to cruise the boat up to Charleston? PM me if to discuss. Not a bad trip up there so not out of the question.

I imagine a "copy" might be okay for something like a boat cover or a simple canopy for a boat but as you said, particularly the dodger is a snug fit, and would not turn out well with even a few mm of error in cut.

I do have the name and contact information of the company that made it for the previous owner and will try to contact them but I don't hold out much hope that they have the pattern. Even using the original pattern, I imagine there is some "fine tuning" once you get it back to the boat. Again, thanks for the input