bimini/abacos trip june?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andy

friends and our family are planning a two-three week sail into bimini, then onto western tip of grand bahama as we look toward abaco island beginning early june (4-8th) weather allowing. we'll leave from south fla. and wondered if anyone knows of a sailing club or group that we could contact about cruising with some members if some might be traveling at the same time. We would like information about the best jump off point in so. fla. (key largo, or anglefish cut area, to catch the gulf stream inot bimini, hours that the trip should take (we est. 8-9 hours) , or any other helpful info. etc. appreciate reading the other comments on the site. we have enjoyed our hunter 26.5 for the last 6 years.

J

Jim Ewing

Some ideas

Andy, If you're going to Bimini just to clear into the Bahamas save the trip. You can either go directly from Miami (12-13 hours) or Fort Lauderdale (10 hours) to West End, Grand Bahama Island. Then you will get a boost from the Gulf Stream instead of fighting it. Disregard this if Bimini is a destination. For Bimini I think Angelfish Creek is probably as far north as you'd want to be to keep from fighting the current. We were planning on leaving tonight for the Abacos but the wind is bad so we're on to Plan B. Head south until the wind moderates. If it breaks at a reasonable time we may do the Miami to West End trip or Anglefish to Bimini and head to the Berrys. I'll post a report when we get back if I find anything that might be of help in your plans. Have a great trip Jim "Prospect"

A

andy

thanks for the help

i appreciate your help. we are planning a return trip to bimini, this time in our sailboat. we have been there twice in powerboats. we would really like to sail thru grand bahama, onto abaco, but unless we meet with a boat or two going that way we'll settle for a few sunny days on the beaches of bimini( my kids have never been to bimini, and i think they will enjoy the diving and fishing there for a beginning to summer). abaco is still the choice of mine, and if we can't find anyone going around our time this summer, maybe next year. have a great trip, and let me know how the weather cooperates. we've had some strange northerly winds and low pressure systems come almost that far south, but hopefully, the summer type systems will begin to prevail. good sailing!! andy cook- "fruitcakes" (my daughter named the boat!)

J

Jim Ewing

Wind, what wind

It wasn't supposed to moderate until Wednesday! Damn, we would have spent half of our vacation waiting on the wind to go SE. Oh well, now we get to reset the trip planner to May 25! Hopefully (although it will be a bit warmer then) the weather gods will cooperate and allow a crossing! Have a good trip to Bimini and give us a report on your return. Jim "Prospect"

A

andy

hello jim, prospect

appreciate your response to my article re: bimini. wish you the best wind and sea on your trip across, but i sure wouldn't mind following you guys into the bahamas in early june. if your wind blows ill, let me know and i'll see if we can't get together in early june. p.s. would you know of any sailing clubs that might ave members going across to bimini or grand bahama early june (6/5/01) if the weather is right? thanks... see you guys later, will keep you posted re: the time and kind of trip we had crossing.. , p.s. again, should you later sail our country (pensacola, gulf across to gulfport, ms. let us know, we'll show you good sailing areas up in this area. good gambling too (marinas o.k. also!)

T

The 1st Mate!!

HEY POPS!!

WELL HEY THERE DAD! JUST CHECKING OUT THE FORUM YOU TOLD ME ABOUT! THIS IS WHAT I SET UP ON MY WEB PAGE! BUT ANYWAY JUST SAYING HEY AND CANT WAIT FOR THIS SAILING TRIP! HOPEFULLY WE WILL MAKE IT THIS TIME! AND I HAVE BEEN THERE BEFORE!! HAHA!! PEACE-OUT! D R E W

Status
Not open for further replies.