Bilge water blues

Sep 27, 2014
Catalina 30 Naples City Docks
I guess I will try everybody's patience with yet another post. There always seems to be about a half an inch to an inch of water in the bilge every time I get to the boat. I really don't think it's coming from a leak in the deck and I don't see any sign of the windows leaking. I also checked the stanchions and don't see any sign of leakage there either. Anybody have any idea where this mystery water is coming from or the fix for this? This is a 1982 Catalina 30 which I am in the process of refurbishing.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Without knowing what you've eliminated -
Shaft
Rudder tube
Thru hull
Speed log transducer
Depth transducer
Residual water in bilge tube
Water tank leak
Refrigerator drain hole tube
Air conditioner condensate

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
first guess, because i had the same situation, is the stuffing box. it takes real skill and not a little luck to adjust perfectly, but keep in mind that too much leakage beats the hell out of too little as long as you can attend to it before the bilge really fills.

Oct 28, 2013
Catalina 30 1978 #980 Catalina 30 1978 #980 Mission beach, California
first guess, because i had the same situation, is the stuffing box. it takes real skill and not a little luck to adjust perfectly, but keep in mind that too much leakage beats the hell out of too little as long as you can attend to it before the bilge really fills.
When I was adjusting my stuffing box I used a small can about the size of the tuna can and put it under my stuffing box and check it daily to see how much water was actually dripping from the stuffing box. Now I've got it down to one or 2 drips a week while sitting at the dock, and this usually evaporates in the can just leaving salt deposits behind. I had a similar instance where I was getting water my bilge and it came from the sittee water tank.

Oct 28, 2013
Catalina 30 1978 #980 Catalina 30 1978 #980 Mission beach, California
Here's a picture of mine at the time was brand-new you will see the shaft and large nut, and the smaller nut to the aft. The smaller one on the aft is the pal nut. In other words this not is tightened against the larger that with the packing material to keep it from loosening up. I have two large crescent wrenches which I bought it harbor freight dirt cheap that I use to tighten loosen these nuts. So you loosen the back nut and tighten the front nut about 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time and then check for leaks again. Do not over tighten this nut. Now course of your packing as gone bad and worn out you will have to replace the packing. This can be done in the water if need be. There are many how to do this sites online if that is your case. When tightening is nut just turn it a short distance and then check company drips occur while the engine is not running. The other thing to watch for is the packing gland itself getting hot while the engine is running.

I'm not very good at describing things maybe somebody else can describe a little better or post a link that has pictures.

Like I said earlier the easiest way to find out if the packing gland is leaking is to put a small container under the gland itself and see how fast it fills up, if at all?

Attachments

Oct 1, 2011
Canadian Sailcraft 36T PCYC Toronto
Without knowing what you've eliminated -
Shaft
Rudder tube
Thru hull
Speed log transducer
Depth transducer
Residual water in bilge tube
Water tank leak
Refrigerator drain hole tube
Air conditioner condensate
All the above for sure and perhaps intake hose fittings, strainer for engine, strainers for water tank(s), water pump(s).

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
How do you adjust the stuffing box? Are there any links on this?
Did you determine the stuffing box as the source?

If so, there are lots of tutorials on the Internet for the various types of boxes. Make sure you pick the correct type

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Here's a picture of mine at the time was brand-new you will see the shaft and large nut, and the smaller nut to the aft. The smaller one on the aft is the pal nut. In other words this not is tightened against the larger that with the packing material to keep it from loosening up. I have two large crescent wrenches which I bought it harbor freight dirt cheap that I use to tighten loosen these nuts. So you loosen the back nut and tighten the front nut about 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time and then check for leaks again. Do not over tighten this nut. Now course of your packing as gone bad and worn out you will have to replace the packing. This can be done in the water if need be. There are many how to do this sites online if that is your case. When tightening is nut just turn it a short distance and then check company drips occur while the engine is not running. The other thing to watch for is the packing gland itself getting hot while the engine is running. I'm not very good at describing things maybe somebody else can describe a little better or post a link that has pictures. Like I said earlier the easiest way to find out if the packing gland is leaking is to put a small container under the gland itself and see how fast it fills up, if at all?

Do a search of the archives. Couple dozen postings (at least) on stuffing boxes.

Oct 15, 2008
Catalina 30 Mexico
Quick test is to taste the water (don't need to swallow). If it is fresh water, forget the stuffing box and look for other sources. Our '83 has a leak running down the stringer in the deck, between deck and ceiling (between deck layers) that culminates just above the refrigerator. When I drilled it lots of water poured out that originated elsewhere on the deck towards the bow. I left the hole, put a tube in it to drain it into a container when washing or when we are gone. Then again, I'm in La Paz, Baja California and we don't get Fla rain. Salt tasting water points to the stuffing box of course.