Bilge pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2005
Catalina 30 Downtown//Shoreline Marina, Long Beach
My Rule 1500 bilge pump ain't pumpin' no mo', so what do you suggest I replace it with?

Jan 6, 2010
AA,
I read an article about 15 years ago on sizing of bilge pumps.

Apparantly, many people use the wrong thinking on selecting bilge pumps. The article explained that the larger the bilge/boat, the more time is available to pump out water. The bilge can hold more water without the danger of sinking. However take a smaller boat/bilge, There's less water to hold therefore, a larger GPH bigger pump is required.

This made sense to me so I have the rule 5000 GPH. It's the biggest I can put in my bilge. Also remember that pumps are rated by the hour, so a 5000 will pump about 1/60 approx. per minute, which is far less. If you have a large leak, you want to remove the water ASAP.

Hope this helps,
CR

Oct 3, 2005
I don't have a leak, just the "normal" amount of fresh when it rains, sea when under power. I lift the flapper, hear the whirring, but nothing's coming out. Grateful I have the manual pump. The PO had the 1500 which I assume is ample for a C-30.

Jan 6, 2010
AA,

You need to read my last post again. The 1500 is TOO underated for your boat. Sure it's OK for the normal water level but what if?

It could be that the inpeller shaft is broken, as this happens. Pop the pump out of the base stand turn it over and see if the impeller turns when you work the float switch. It sounds as if you didn't check it this way yet.

CR

DanM

Mar 28, 2011
Catalina 30 Galveston Bay
AA,

Although I agree that bigger is probably better it will turn it into a bigger project as well if you upsize the pump. On my '85 the factory bilge pump wires were undersized and not tinned leading to significant voltage drop. Simply replacing your Rule 1500 with a larger pump (the Rule 4000 draws more than three times the current!) would also mean larger wiring runs if the hope is to get it to work anywhere near it's specifications.

Personally I think money spent on an bilge pump alarm is better spent. If you are on board you will be alerted quickly to a problem and if you are not on board perhaps a good samaritan will happen by your boat.

Closed, well maintained through hull fittings are far better insurance than a larger bilge pump IMHO when away from the boat.

Jan 6, 2010

Dan,

Everyone has their own comfort level. Like you, I did redo the wiring, I'll bet you found house wiring on your boat, my 1980 C30 had alot.

What I was referring to with regard to pump sizing is not for small leaks, but accidents at sea. Here in Florida, there are incidents with boat hull punctures, & crab trap lines pulling shafts out of boats.

If that happens, don't you want to have a larger rated pump? We also have alot of broken dock material (waterlogged and unseen in the gulf). In addition, I never have a problem with current draw as pumps don't draw that much with rated wiring.

AA is relatively new at owning a boat and is doing alot of upgrade work, so we all try to help him when we can with the best info from our experiences saving him alot of angst & grief.
Thanks for your input pal; the more input the better for sailors...
CR

Oct 3, 2005
Thanks y'all for your very professional and helpful advice. But since I'm basically an electrical idiot, I'll just hire someone locally to fix the effing thing ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.