Bilge pump not working

Jul 27, 2015
catalina 30 SF bay
Discovered that my bilge pump is not working. my boat is an 85, I can't seem to locate a fuse, the float switch clicks when I raise and lower it, the switch is a Rule super switch, the pump is a Rule 3700. I don't know how old these item are and no info on the pump is provided in my information binder provided by the PO. My 25 had an on- off -test switch that I could ck the fuse and the pump easily with. This boat doesn't seem to have one or I haven't located it as of yet.
I appreciate any help. Thanks

Feb 15, 2014
Catalina 30 Bremerton, WA
That's why I have two. Larger one is set an inch
above the smaller one.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Is the pump jammed? Could you have something stuck? If switch works and you confirm power to the pump then next place to look is the pump it self. All sorts of stuff finds its way in to the bilge and sometimes the pump. It is kind of a treasure hunt with out the treasure.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Do you have a Multimeter? If so, start with testing the float switch. Check the down circuit side and see if it has power when you lift the switch. If it does then that's not the problem.

If the float switch isn't working you will need to find out if it is getting power using the multimeter. If it's not getting power than it can be the wires, fuse/breaker or switch up line.

If the float switch works test the pump and as mentioned above look for a jam in the pump. Also, do you have check valve on the line with the bilge pump? You shouldn't but Catalina does incorrectly install them at the factory. The previous owner could have out one in too. Check valves can fail in the closes position and cause pumps to burn out.

Good luck,

Jesse

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
On my Catalina 30 the fuses where under the nav station near the batteries. Just a set of fuses in a holder bolted to the underside of the nav table. Had to trace the wires to determine what each one protected. I reworked the electrical panel so the bilge pump fuse was on the panel. I don't remember where it was prior to the rework so your mileage may vary.
Try following the wires from the pump FWIW.