Bilge drain plug

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
Just bought a1981 Oday 34. Since I’m up north out antsy on the hard and I noticed a bilge drain plug. Is this from the factory? Does anyone else have this? Seems like it could be a weak link…

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Don’t have one on my O’Day 322.

Do you have a photo?

Greg

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
No photo…the boat is four hours away. It looks factory installed on the starboard side just above the keel/hull joint

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
Yep…that sounds like what it is. I was wondering if it was factory or iif a previous owner put it in. I get nervous with holes in the hull :)

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Most likely owner installed, my 35 doesn't have it, other 35's I've looked at don't have it either. If properly installed, won't be a problem. While you're on the hard, you might as well remove the plug, that's its purpose.

isavua

Nov 30, 2021
O'Day 31 Brooklyn, NY
Have you ever had any issues with it? Do you use anything special to seal it or just screw in the plug?
I just bought the boat and this is my first winter with it.

I removed it when boat was hauled out as previous owner suggested to drain bilge and keep air dry.

Does it leak any water: can't really tell you because stuffing box was letting water into the bilge as well as mast. I can tell I had hard time unscrewing it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @ISAVAU to the SBO forums. Congrats on your new boat.

Be sure to keep the water out of the boat.