Big Wave Foiled

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh Wow... If I was 20 years younger. That would be such a cool ride.

Maybe I could drive the jet ski.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Well maybe. You need to be a little crazy and fearless. It might have been possible. I at least would like to think so.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Only 20 years younger? I'm thinking more like 40 or 50 years younger. :biggrin::poke:
Oh I don’t know about the age thing. Hamilton is 56 and still ripping, considered by many to be leading edge with this stuff.

I’ve got a few years or is that decades ;) on him and have gotten into windfoiling in the last few years, however I would no sooner jump into a big wave like that than leap out of a perfectly good airplane with a parachute. All depends on what your perspective of fun is I guess.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
What balance! I can't even stand on a paddle board and they're carving turns on big waves. I'm surmising that they are off the wave as it begins to break. But they had such a ride it isn't worth getting conked by that heavy board in the shore break. I didn't see any ankle straps.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
What balance! I can't even stand on a paddle board and they're carving turns on big waves. I'm surmising that they are off the wave as it begins to break. But they had such a ride it isn't worth getting conked by that heavy board in the shore break. I didn't see any ankle straps.
The foil let’s them ride a much less critical part of the wave (less steep) as there is very little drag and the speed and acceleration are increased compared to a “normal” board.

Absolutely no leash as you don’t want to be anywhere near the foil if you aren’t standing on the board. The edges of the wings of the foil are knife sharp!!

The advice given to those learning to wind foil is to hang onto the boom no matter what happens as you can’t hit the foil if you wipe out. I have taken a different approach so far; when I know I’m going to crash I bail out as far as I can get!!! Makes for a long swim to get caught up to the board again but I haven’t cut myself yet ;)

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Sorry TOO busy screaming in fear like a little kid to take any photos! ;)

Actually windfoiling is LESS strenuous than windsurfing once you can maintain flight. You can use substantially smaller sails and your legs don’t have to soak up all the shock of pounding through chop as you are flying above it. A lot heavier and unwieldy getting the gear in and out of the water however.

I’m having some trouble settling in as I have to “unlearn” certain subtle movements that are very efficient while windsurfing.

Pretty freaky the first fews times when your board climbs out of the water and a lot of noise goes away.

• Helpful
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So to learn you get towed by a jet ski or whatever and work out the kinks there? (Not I'm thinking of taking this up ...but?)

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Now that is an awful lot of up and down work.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Or if you don’t have 20 year old legs and body to self propel you can go this way. ;)

Cool, but definitely not in the budget especially after the economic news of the past few days.

Last summer there was a guy zipping around Confederation Basin in Kingston on one of these.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Last summer there was a guy zipping around Confederation Basin in Kingston on one of these.
OH that’s an ideal safe location to be using one of those. I can just see them ending up on top of the rock breakwater!!!