Bi-Fold Door

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Long ago Mainsheet published the "How-To" for making making the door to the forward cabin a bi-fold. I have the article, but wanted to see if anyone was successful in making the project work, and might have finished photos.

Aug 24, 2009
This must not have been a popular project. Have 187+views and no one that has a photo of a finish door. Anyone??

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
I just have absolutely no talent for that kind of stuff!! Looking at the Zarcor doors is the extent of my abilities!! Maybe as the career winds down and I have some free time, I'll practice my carpentry skills.

Aug 24, 2009
Well I did okay with a replacement for my hatch boards. (I thought I even posted a photo, if now will do so in the spring) But when I took that beautiful door of the forward cabin and thought of sawing it in half, well the admiral freaked :eek: out. Your going to do what :evil:.

So I contacted a local cabinet maker and showed him the door and the plans for cutting :confused: ripping, :naughty: and milling. After two days he came back to me door untouched and said :snooty: nope! Did not want to risk it, he did not think it could be achieved but said if you have any photos from someone who has done this change, he would like to see them. his first fear was that with the different directions the grain runs when you cut the door in half, that you would have chipping and damage to the teak.

So I still have a one piece beautiful forward cabin door, wrapped in plastic and stored in the the garage :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.