Best way to fix this interior wall

Mar 7, 2024
Hunter 26.5 Deale
I have this new to me Hunter 26.5. Below the V berth bed, there is some wall damage. This is a newbie question, I'm sure. But do I just sand it down and then re-fiberglass this? There is an all fiberglass boat, correct? Assuming no rotting wood here...
20240303_124601.jpg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There's something rotten in Denmark there.
I'm assuming a leak that has gotten into the core of that bulkhead. Maybe from an anchor locker or deck hardware.
Grind and assess. When you get down to solid stuff plan a repair.
And find out how water is getting in!

Mar 7, 2024
Hunter 26.5 Deale
There's something rotten in Denmark there.
I'm assuming a leak that has gotten into the core of that bulkhead. Maybe from an anchor locker or deck hardware.
Grind and assess. When you get down to solid stuff plan a repair.
And find out how water is getting in!
Thanks for the response. Do you know if that bulkhead is made of wood? If so, it seems like I'd have to completely replace that wooden bulkhead. Yikes. And yes, the anchor locker is up above near it

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Can you get a few more pictures? We're assuming that whatever this wall is for, it has balsa or marine plywood inside of it that has rotted. I would take a 1/2-1" hole saw or oscillating tool to the fiberglass layer so you can see the wood inside. Be careful not to go too deep. The fiberglass is probably 1/8-3/16" thick. You need a large enough hole to see and/or stick a finger in it to check for rot.

Is this your transom?

Mar 7, 2024
Hunter 26.5 Deale
Can you get a few more pictures? We're assuming that whatever this wall is for, it has balsa or marine plywood inside of it that has rotted. I would take a 1/2-1" hole saw or oscillating tool to the fiberglass layer so you can see the wood inside. Be careful not to go too deep. The fiberglass is probably 1/8-3/16" thick. You need a large enough hole to see and/or stick a finger in it to check for rot.

Is this your transom?
I'll try to get more this weekend. This is not the transom. It's at the bow, below the bed in the v-berth. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The bulkhead is likely wood and it appears the wood is rotten. Take a look at it from the anchor locker side. There is no good way to repair this without removing the old rotted bulkhead and grinding away the tabbing.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former Hunter dealer, I would suggest finding the leaks first. I suspect the anchor drain and hose to be the culprit. However, do check the forestay chain plate, bow pulpit, anchor lid hinges, bow eye and any other deck hardware to include rub rail above the forward v berth and anchor locker.

From knowledge of the 26.5 bulkhead, it was a marine ply that was covered with fiberglass and white gelcoat or gelcoat alone. The cause probably was there was no weep hole in the middle of the bulkhead trapping water from going down to the bilge.

The bulkhead needs to be removed. I would go back with a marine ply covered by fiberglass with some white spray paint designated to cover plastic paints be applied. MAKE SURE THERE IS A WEEP HOLE IN THE MIDDLE THAT IS COVERED WITH FIBERGLASS on the bottom edge of the ply to prevent water penetration

As for the old fiberglass tabbing, I would leave that in place except for the area for weep hole. I would then place the new bulkheard against the old tabbing as it would give you a base which to tabb the new one in.

a few more pictures would help to see where the bulkhead is under the V berth

crazy Dave

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I spoke with the poster today. This is a boat he is looking at to buy with new sails and a newer outboard motor that is in the water. There are two issues one of which is the bulkhead. There is a clear title to the boat. All the owners accepted new jobs out of state with the last owner who’s no longer interested in sailing, thus selling made more sense as slip renewal was coming up

The port shroud was loose. I asked him if he saw a cover plate over the chain plate with four screws and said yes with no damage to interior bulkhead as well. I told to remove the screws removing the old caulk applying new caulk.

he has my contact information reminding him never to divulge it to anyone

crazy Dave

Mar 7, 2024
Hunter 26.5 Deale
I spoke with the poster today. This is a boat he is looking at to buy with new sails and a newer outboard motor that is in the water. There are two issues one of which is the bulkhead. There is a clear title to the boat. All the owners accepted new jobs out of state with the last owner who’s no longer interested in sailing, thus selling made more sense as slip renewal was coming up

The port shroud was loose. I asked him if he saw a cover plate over the chain plate with four screws and said yes with no damage to interior bulkhead as well. I told to remove the screws removing the old caulk applying new caulk.

he has my contact information reminding him never to divulge it to anyone

crazy Dave
Thank you for the discussion crazy Dave. I'm attaching photos of the chain plate connection I mentioned in call, for reference. The chain plate on interior bulkhead appeared to be the only wet spot on the boat after it had rained.

Attachments

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Take a look at BedIT, especially for the chain plates. It will outlast the boat unlike most caulk like sealants.

Mar 7, 2024
Hunter 26.5 Deale
@Bluebonnet87

make sure bulkhead is solid and bolts are tight. Get the leak fixed asap. Remove all caulk and recaulk.
@Crazy Dave Condon , I was able to get under the floor today and did see some water in bilge. The other areas looked dry except the central compartment. Take a look at the attached photo. There are a couple leaks where rain water is getting into cabin but not sure this is from that or not. Is this a no go for you?

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Spoke with @Bluebonnet87 today. Suspect rain water in bilge unless if salty; however, bottom last painted two years ago. I did tell him how to find deck leaks buy pressurizing cabin with a leaf blower with someone on deck with a brush using a brush to find air bubbling out. I told him to look under boat information for the H26.5 too. He is seriously considering making an offer on the boat