best time to cross the gulf of Mexico from FL to Galveston

Dec 29, 2014
Hunter 33 Dallas
hey just looking for some input, what y'all thinking for the Ideal time of year to cross the Gulf from FL to Galveston?
i'M doing some trip planning and looking for any input from experiences across the gulf heading westward, trying to figure the best time of year to safely travel short handed

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
hey just looking for some input, what y'all thinking for the Ideal time of year to cross the Gulf from FL to Galveston?
i'M doing some trip planning and looking for any input from experiences across the gulf heading westward, trying to figure the best time of year to safely travel short handed
Departing FL from which harbor? It’s about 780 n.mi. (straight line) from St. Petersburg to Galveston—potentially 6 or 7 days of travel. In the winter and early spring it’s mostly about timing to avoid cold fronts, which tend to occur fortnightly. These start to disappear by late April. Summer-like conditions start appearing in May in FL. Folks travel from St. Petersburg to Dry Tortugas and back in late May, e.g. near Memorial Day. Not having made the trip you mention myself, although others here may have (try searching the archives), I’d plan for the last two weeks of May for two alternate routes: straight-line across the open Gulf, and along the coast where I might come in somewhere for a spell if conditions warrant it. Deeper into the spring and in summer you’ll have less sailing wind generally and more T-storms to consider. Then as the summer wears on, threat of tropical storm activity, etc.

Last edited:
  • Helpful

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
It's actually 734 miles, for an average speed of 22.9 knots. Might have been quicker if he'd had more sail up. :). Sounds like November would be good for making a fast trip, in any case.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It's actually 734 miles, for an average speed of 22.9 knots. Might have been quicker if he'd had more sail up. :). Sounds like November would be good for making a fast trip, in any case.
But I don't believe it!

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I figure that’s an average speed of 15-18 knots, @ 500 to 600 n.mi. distance.:doh:
Sorry-I miss wrote -sailed from tarpon to Apalachicola in that time- THen to Galveston after several more days. sorry for the confusion- my boat is good but not THAT fast