Best Sail

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Warren Tan

Does anyone have any opinion regarding which sail brand is the best? My boat is currently equipped with Doyle sails.

L

Loki

Summerset Sails

I use a guy called Summerset Sails. We use him for racing and cruising sails. Very good, very inexpensive. 800-323-0278.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

I was looking for

a reason to brag about my brand new mainsail! I received in the mail yesterday a new Doyle mainsail for my 25 order through this very site. The quality looks to be fantastic, the fittment is perfect, and even under the second reef yesterday is was generating tons of power. I have had Doyle sails on my daysailer as well and I won't be looking for a new loft and time soon. The Doyle main on a friend's Person 30 is going on fifteen years (or so he claims) and it still looks great and has held its shape. YMMV, Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Hate to tell you....

Tom: I hate to tell you but asking a question like this what is the best (fill in the blank) Car Boat Place to live Place to sail Place to eat Sail Manufacturer we can go on and on. This is a loaded question. Doyle is a very good sail maker as Justin mentioned. I think, like anything else, you need to look at their work and see if they understand your boat and the sailing environment. Hopefully you can get some references from other sailors that have used their products and go for it. It you are getting quotes from several sailmakers make sure that you are getting the same material with the same extras (reef points, batten types, leach lines, material weight, slug type, etc etc).

J

Jim Cook

Steve, or anyone, What is Slug Type?

Steve mentioned "slug type" in reference to sails. I haven't run across this term yet. Please explain. Thanks, JimC

D

David Foster

Pick a Sailmaker

Just bought a new main, and asymetrical spinnaker for our '77 H27. I shopped on the Internet to see what was on offer, then talked to the local people. The key for me was to get a real sailmaker out to my boat to see what I had, and talk me through the decision. On that basis we ended up choosing Greg Kleko (sp) and the Doyle loft close by. He listened to what we were trying to accomplish (better pointing, and more efficient cruising on Lake Erie with a shaller draft keel), and steered us into a good choice for our budget. The shopping on the web kept him reasonable on the price, so we feel we got a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.