Best Rack for a Hunter 44AC

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 44 Middle River, MD
We carry a Wilderness System Tsunami (13'?) on the deck of our Hunter 44. I have occasional issues with the jib line getting caught on the stern of the kayak and have also had the window on the bimini scratched by the bow (the kayak faces towards the stern). If we were to carry it from the stanchions, which of your systems do you recommend? BTW... we raft up with other Hunters frequently on weekend raft-ups so it can't interfere with the other boats/lines. To complicate it a little more, we also carry a 135/140 Wilderness Sit-On-Top when our daughter is sailing with us. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Feb 1, 2016
Long Beach, CA
Question: Best Sportsracker system for carrying (2) Wilderness kayaks on a Hunter 44.
In my opinion, you would be happiest with a rack system that flips over to deck side when rafting or cruising, and back outside the rail when launching. You would mount the SR/LR Rail-Flip model rack sufficiently forward or aft of the cabin sides to allow enough room to "flip" the rack over the deck (about 18 inches). This is a "feathering" type rack that saves you 30% or so on outboard profile to minimize interference with running lines and sheets. The same rack model would handle both of your Wilderness kayaks, one mounted port side and the other mounted starboard (because they auto adjust to fit any kayak width).

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 44 Middle River, MD
Do you have a video to show the process and difficulty of
"Flipping" the rack? Pictures of how it mounts to the stanchions? Any other Accesories needed (straps etc.)? Has anyone had issues with lines getting caught on the inboard kayak when mounted on the inside? Any discounts to followers on sailboatowners.com? Thanks!

Feb 1, 2016
Long Beach, CA
Question: Any videos showing the Sportsracker "Rail-Flip" rack process and any mounting difficulties; any line snagging issues with deck storage; any sailboat.com discounts?
The "Rail-Flip" production has kept us so busy we have not produced a video of the "flip" process yet. We do have photos showing the "3-way" clamp adjustment system (up-down, pivot, & swing), which is uploaded here. The rail-flip procedure is quite easy...you just loosen the rack clamp lock, pivot the rack to the horizontal position and swing it around the stanchion until over the deck; then you pivot the rack support back to the vertical position & re-tighten the clamp lock. Takes about 20-30 seconds. Mounting this rack is just like any other rail rack..remove one of the nuts on a stanchion clamp, swing the clamp away, lay against the stanchion & swing the clamp back and secure (but first you will have rotated the stanchion clamp to the vertical position and locked it in place). Regarding lines, we have feedback that some folks mistakenly located their rack near a sheet fairlead so that when they flipped the rack over the deck, it interfered with the sheet. The solution was very simple...just slide the rack supports aft a couple feet, free of the sheet leads. Sailboatowners.com members will receive a 10% discount (remember to note your membership in the comments column when ordering).

Attachments

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
Hello Sports Tracker,
Your products look great. I have been thinking about purchasing a Kayak for day exploration but was thinking about how to store it on board my Oday 35. The swing racks to the stanchions look like they will do the trick. I'll be ready to purchase once I get the Kayak. In the mean time, I would like to purchase the clamp that you are showing above to hold my davits for my dingy. I don't see it on your website. I will need the 7/8" to 1" version. I have not been able to find a clamp that will go from a stanchion to a stanchion in this way. If anyone knows of a source, I'm listening.

Feb 1, 2016
Long Beach, CA
Question: Availability of an adjustable heavy-duty stanchion-to-stanchion stainless steel clamp:
Hello Rajhnsn,
We couldn't find a source for this item that met our specs either! That's why we designed and built it ourselves. Most of the clamps like this (out there) are designed for light loads, such as antennas. The SR/LR universal-mount rack is brand new and the adjustable clamp is not even pictured in the catalog yet. But if you email us a photo of the stanchion where it will mount & the weight of your dingy, we can pull a set out of production for you. Just want to be sure that it will work for you first. We also use a welded (horizontal) rail-to-vertical stanchion clamp that doesn't need the pivot lock, and therefore is stronger than the pivoting version.

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
Sportsracker,
I'll get some pictures this weekend. Actually it will be a horizontal rail clamp going to a vertical tub on the davit.
Thanks

Feb 1, 2016
Long Beach, CA
Question: Sportsracker adjustable position clamp versus the welded horizontal rail-to-vertical stanchion clamp; pro's & con's for holding davit dingy supports.
Good! The horizontal rail-to-vertical stanchion clamp is welded and stronger than the adjustable clamp. We have a pair of these clamps set aside for you if you want them.