Best outboard for a Hunter 146

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2013
Hunter 146 Marion
Dear Fellow Sailors,

I'm a proud new owner of a 2008 Hunter 146 and will be sailing this on Keuka Lake in central NY. There are occasions when a small outboard would come in handy. Am curious what other 146 owners have had success with. I've read a lot about the 2HP Honda and that seems like a good motor. Also, would the motor need a short or long shaft?

Thanks in advance.

Gasket Bob

Aug 13, 2011
Whinestopper Hunter 170 Columbus
Dear Fellow Sailors,

I'm a proud new owner of a 2008 Hunter 146 and will be sailing this on Keuka Lake in central NY. There are occasions when a small outboard would come in handy. Am curious what other 146 owners have had success with. I've read a lot about the 2HP Honda and that seems like a good motor. Also, would the motor need a short or long shaft?

Thanks in advance.

Gasket Bob
I have the Honda for my Hunter 170 and love it. The motor has the long shaft, but I am pretty sure that the short shaft would have worked well. There are lots of posts on this topic. Can't go wrong with this light weight, easy to start motor.

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
I have the 2Hp Honda for my H15. The weight and that it is air cooled were the factors that convinced me to buy. Also bought the short shaft as I launch/retrieve in shallow water. Also, as you sit in the stern to operate the motor you are keeping a short shaft deep enough to not come out of the water. After all, the H15/H146 is only rated for inland waters so no fear of the prop coming out of the water, your not sailing in large ocean waves.

Status
Not open for further replies.