Best Angle of Heel for a Ranger 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon

Apr 24, 2009
2 30' sloop Deep Bay, Vancouver Island
I have a Ranger 30 & she sails beautifully, often beating much newer, larger boats.
I normally change sails and/or reef when the toerail gets close to the water.
However, does anyone have opinions on the best angle of heel for optimum boat speed?

Thanks your input.

Simon

Apr 24, 2009
Except...

Generally speaking, "flatter is faster".

Max waterline = faster boat speed, so I'm told. Which on the Ranger with its pronounced 'swell' midships means heeled = faster
. Question is how much?

Any 'experts' out there?

May 18, 2009
Beneteau First 38 Portland
I'm not a naval architect, but 'beaminess' doesn't help with waterline. The waterline length parallel to the centerline is the important parameter, which is why heeling boats with overhanging sterns increases the length. Beam adds to the waterline only by adding a 'curve' to it. The waterline is important because it determines where the bow and stern waves set up, and how the boat 'surfs' in its own wake. My Ranger 33 does increase waterline a bit with heel (due to the transom shape), but only slightly. The "flat is faster" rule is more for dinghies and non-displacement boats (modern sportboats), but once you get beyond 15deg of heel in a 'classic' hull shape, you start slowing down.

I race in pretty nasty and variable conditions, and if I'm caught with a large headsail up with no one brave enough to venture onto the foredeck, I pinch like crazy to reduce heel if going to weather, and let things twist off down. Once you're heeled beyond 15deg, you can usually reduce sail and go faster.

Simon

Apr 24, 2009
Angle of Heel

I'm not a naval architect, but 'beaminess' doesn't help with waterline. The waterline length parallel to the centerline is the important parameter, which is why heeling boats with overhanging sterns increases the length. Beam adds to the waterline only by adding a 'curve' to it. The waterline is important because it determines where the bow and stern waves set up, and how the boat 'surfs' in its own wake. My Ranger 33 does increase waterline a bit with heel (due to the transom shape), but only slightly. The "flat is faster" rule is more for dinghies and non-displacement boats (modern sportboats), but once you get beyond 15deg of heel in a 'classic' hull shape, you start slowing down.

I race in pretty nasty and variable conditions, and if I'm caught with a large headsail up with no one brave enough to venture onto the foredeck, I pinch like crazy to reduce heel if going to weather, and let things twist off down. Once you're heeled beyond 15deg, you can usually reduce sail and go faster.

Thanks for input, makes sense & besides you've got the experience. Means I must put an 'inclinometer' in my cockpit.
Where do you race?
I'm up in BC where it can get hairy in minutes & the wind can go from 25kts SE to the same NE within half an hour. Interesting!

May 18, 2009
Beneteau First 38 Portland
Brookings OR. We have Gale Warnings posted about half the time. The remaining days are leftovers from the gales. We do have some good sailing days, but you have to be ready for thick stuff (and have a strong stomach).

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
The Ranger 33 (designed by Gary Mull) is a faster boat than the Ranger 30 (designed by C. Raymond Hunt), but it is also considered to be not as stiff as the R30. The Ranger 30 is a very nice sailing boat, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.