Bermuda

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Has anyone sailed to Bermuda? Planning to sail there in May.

Are there any suggestions for places to anchor, places to avoid and places that shouldn't be missed?

I'll be sailing out of the Chesapeake. Any suggestions for good anchorages near the mouth of the Chesapeake to wait for a good weather window?

Any recommendations about crossing the Gulf Stream or any other good advice on making this leg?

dj

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Made the trip from Bermuda to Rhode Island as crew (2 people sailing and a sick wife of the owner) on a relatively small "Chrysler sailboat" many many years ago (1978 or 1979). Not much to offer in current advice as equipment has changed by an order of magnitude from what we had. When crossing the Gulf Stream be prepared for frequent squalls even if you have a good weather window. If you are not in a hurry, try to pick a window not only for favorable weather but favorable wind direction. Beating into the wind for 8 days can be exhausting. We were fortunate to have a beam reach the whole way back except for in the squalls which made for an uneventful sail. Make sure you have plenty of water and extra fuel in case you get becalmed. A friend sailed to Bermuda from Beaufort SC and was becalmed for several days. We had none of the current "safety gear" you would have now (stupid but lucky), no Loran with only charts, a sextant and "radio direction finder" for navigation and a VHF radio. I am sure you will be much better equiped and prepared.

We really enjoyed St. George. Quant and low key. They had a nice quay (not sure what it cost). Don't recall if there was an achorage there. Hamilton is a bustling town with lots of shopping easily accessed from the harbor. You can't rent a car on Bermuda if I recall from several visits there. They have a decent bus system and you can rent a scooter. Bermuda is very small and you can scooter from one end of the island to another.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
St. George sounds good to me. Scooter sounds fun also. Plus it places me a a good point to leave for the next leg - Azores...

dj

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Was just there 3 months ago. Easiest route is to/from Beaufort. St George is pretty dead except during race week. No chandleries except in Hamilton. The conditions crossing are entirely dependent on weather.
we entered in StG but moved to Hamilton for convenience. Alternatively, , the ferry to/from Hamilton to StG or the Dockyard is a great option to avoid th buses.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Was just there 3 months ago. Easiest route is to/from Beaufort. St George is pretty dead except during race week. No chandleries except in Hamilton. The conditions crossing are entirely dependent on weather.
we entered in StG but moved to Hamilton for convenience. Alternatively, , the ferry to/from Hamilton to StG or the Dockyard is a great option to avoid th buses.
@Don S/V ILLusion Did you go through the checking out of US customs using form CBP 1300?

My boat is in the Chesapeake, I don't think I'd want to drop down to Beaufort to cross over. That's a long way out of my way.

dj

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Was just there 3 months ago. Easiest route is to/from Beaufort.
I am assuming you are refering to Beaufort NC?

I wouldn't worry too muc about the difference between staying in St. George or Hamilton. Bermuda is a small Island when compared to the distance betweeen either the St. George or Hamilton and the Azores. I'd stay where it was most convenient. If you are in need of parts/provisions I'd stay in Hamilton. Like I said, St. George was a quaint, low key town. Hamilton is bustling.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Have sailed to Bermuda more than a half-dozen times. Crossing the Gulf Stream is different every time. It can be quiet, smooth sailing reach, or a nasty beat into steep chop. Falling off the top of every other 8' wave at 8 knots can do things to the boat. There can be 40-knot thundersqualls and dead calms. At one point we had three waterspouts in sight at once. If you want to avoid excitement, wait for a nice weather window.
When you get to Bermuda, get a long-term bus ticket. It is valid for the number of days you pay for and is good on all the buses AND ferries. Taxis, though nice, are incredibly expensive. Scooters, though fun, are incredibly dangerous -- especially with too many Americans trying to drive on the left after several Planters Punches.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
No excitment is desired. I'm sailing with weather windows. Nice tip on the bus pass!

Looks like there is a 5 day pass that is fairly inexpensive, but I'm wondering if I should just go for the longer time so I can look for a good weather window for the next leg. How much time do you think is good for wandering the island?

dj

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Depending on the time of year for your transit, you could be looking at a considerable length of time for a "good" weather window for a long passage. On the other hand, you might get one only a day after you arrive in Bermuda. Since I assume you are not in a rush I'd plan on 5 or so days to absorb the sites/vibe of the island. If the longer transit ticket is not much more than the 5 day I'd go with that. However, you could always just buy in increments based on the forecast.

It is about 2000+ nautical miles or so in a straight line east from Bermuda to the Azores. Assuming you average 5 kts speed over ground you'll do 120 nautical miles a day or about 17 days. I'm not sure if you can average 5 knots but with a 41 foot boat that is not unreasonable to use that for planning. That is assuming straight line which is not likely if you are sailing most of the way.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Depending on the time of year for your transit, you could be looking at a considerable length of time for a "good" weather window for a long passage. On the other hand, you might get one only a day after you arrive in Bermuda. Since I assume you are not in a rush I'd plan on 5 or so days to absorb the sites/vibe of the island. If the longer transit ticket is not much more than the 5 day I'd go with that. However, you could always just buy in increments based on the forecast.

It is about 2000+ nautical miles or so in a straight line east from Bermuda to the Azores. Assuming you average 5 kts speed over ground you'll do 120 nautical miles a day or about 17 days. I'm not sure if you can average 5 knots but with a 41 foot boat that is not unreasonable to use that for planning. That is assuming straight line which is not likely if you are sailing most of the way.
Planning to get to Bermuda just after May 17th. The Arc is coming through and leaves on the 17th so I figure right after would be better. Of course weather depending. 120 nm per day shod be about right, but for planning purposes at this point I use 100nm per day. As I get more time on passage I'll adjust accordingly.

dj

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
@Don S/V ILLusion Did you go through the checking out of US customs using form CBP 1300?

My boat is in the Chesapeake, I don't think I'd want to drop down to Beaufort to cross over. That's a long way out of my way.

dj
Bermuda has their own declaration forms and I think what we filled out on the return was a 1302. If you belong to a yacht club, the RBYC in Hamilton will advise on current needs.

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
May should be great for weather: winter storms are finished and tornadoes are a few months away! You will enter at St-David's & proceed to St-Georges, there is no other safe entrance to Bermuda. Do not forget to contact radio Bermuda to announce your arrival and entering the narrow pass... preferably not at the same time as a cruise-ship is coming out!
There is no way to predict the weather from Bermuda to the Azores... however you will sail in the Bermuda-Azores high pressure zone which is usual good weather. You should skirt to 38°N to get some westerlies and once close to the Azores sail east to Fayal. Entry is done at Horta and starts your ticker for Schengen (90 days). The 90 day permit is extendable and not seriously considered in Spain. Taxation of your boat is a more serious consideration.
Also, propane and 120V are not available east of the Azores...
Check with your insurance: coverage east of Bermuda.
Have a great trip: I averaged 105NM/day.
Pierre

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
May should be great for weather: winter storms are finished and tornadoes are a few months away! You will enter at St-David's & proceed to St-Georges, there is no other safe entrance to Bermuda. Do not forget to contact radio Bermuda to announce your arrival and entering the narrow pass... preferably not at the same time as a cruise-ship is coming out!
There is no way to predict the weather from Bermuda to the Azores... however you will sail in the Bermuda-Azores high pressure zone which is usual good weather. You should skirt to 38°N to get some westerlies and once close to the Azores sail east to Fayal. Entry is done at Horta and starts your ticker for Schengen (90 days). The 90 day permit is extendable and not seriously considered in Spain. Taxation of your boat is a more serious consideration.
Also, propane and 120V are not available east of the Azores...
Check with your insurance: coverage east of Bermuda.
Have a great trip: I averaged 105NM/day.
Pierre
@Caboteur Great info! Understood on weather Bermuda to Azores... I'm hoping for the "usual good weather"... Once checking out of the Azores, the Schengen clock stops ticking until arrival to a Schengen country, even if it's Portugal, correct?

I understand that butane is available east of the Azores. I thought you could burn butane in a propane stove, might have to change the regulator? Do you (anyone) know?

Not real interested in paying VAT on my boat... the 90 day limit is going be carefully observed. If I do decide to go that route, I understand there are Islands near the Eastern end of the Med (have to look up name) that are better as they charge a lower percentage than mainland countries..

Insurance: I'm in that right now.... :facepalm:

So my guestimate for 100NM/day is not far off likely. What boat did you cross on?

dj

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
The Schengen clock starts when you enter the Azores and would stop if you entered another territory... not the case if you sail from the Azores to Europe. VAT is lower in the Azores.
The tax clock and Schengen are not the same... you may stay 90 days but your boat may be in european waters for 18 months tax free.
Butane is available in exchangeable bottles with a different regulator. You just get a butane bottle, switch regulators, check for leaks and are OK to go. You can get a new regulator anywhere.. Horta, Ponta Delgada or even Cascais (mainland Portugal).
I crossed on a C&C Landfall 38' and later on a RM 1050 (34½ feet). On a crossing, I usually leave in the afternoon to get a full day where I am knowing I won't sleep much the first night and not being able to figure when I will arrive to destination. When arriving I wait for daylight before final approach.
Don't forget that the red and green markers are reversed in Europe... that includes the Azores.
Pierre

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
As the Gulfstream makes its own weather, a "weather window" can be a bit deceiving. Once you are out there in the stream there isn't much one can do should things turn against you but forge ahead, as most often there is no better alternative. I've only made the trip from/to Newport/Caribbean, but have a steadfast rule; if the boat speed falls below 6 knots, turn on the engine and keep her moving as fast as possible. And never mention the dreaded Bermuda Triangle when you are in it.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
The Schengen clock starts when you enter the Azores and would stop if you entered another territory... not the case if you sail from the Azores to Europe. VAT is lower in the Azores.
That sucks... Oh well I guess I just add an additional week or so from Azores to the Mainland on my Schengen clock...

The tax clock and Schengen are not the same... you may stay 90 days but your boat may be in european waters for 18 months tax free.
I did not realize that - I thought it was 90 days both ways...

Butane is available in exchangeable bottles with a different regulator. You just get a butane bottle, switch regulators, check for leaks and are OK to go. You can get a new regulator anywhere.. Horta, Ponta Delgada or even Cascais (mainland Portugal).
Yes, that's what I'd understood...

I crossed on a C&C Landfall 38' and later on a RM 1050 (34½ feet). On a crossing, I usually leave in the afternoon to get a full day where I am knowing I won't sleep much the first night and not being able to figure when I will arrive to destination. When arriving I wait for daylight before final approach.
I'm on a Belliure 41, I might make a little better time, but I'm still happy with my current calculation number until I know more... Lot's more...

Don't forget that the red and green markers are reversed in Europe... that includes the Azores.
Pierre
I knew this... dang, glad you reminded me - I had totally forgotten!!!! That would have been bad...

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
As the Gulfstream makes its own weather, a "weather window" can be a bit deceiving. Once you are out there in the stream there isn't much one can do should things turn against you but forge ahead, as most often there is no better alternative. I've only made the trip from/to Newport/Caribbean, but have a steadfast rule; if the boat speed falls below 6 knots, turn on the engine and keep her moving as fast as possible. And never mention the dreaded Bermuda Triangle when you are in it.
I like the rule! And I carry lots of fuel... I have no qualms in using it!!!

Sure, I love to sail, but at this stage in my life - I have nothing to prove... I've broken enough boats in my lifetime...

dj