bent t-bolts and shroud replacement

Sep 18, 2020
Hake Seaward Fox 19 Seaside Park
I have a new-to-me 2003 Catalina 18 that I purchased late fall 2021 and have not sailed yet. The port and starboard t-bolts for the upper shrouds are both bent so am going to replace. PO told me shrouds are original and have not been replaced. Catalina Direct also sells complete upper shroud replacement kit which appears to include both side upper shrouds, plus turnbuckles, toggles/t-bolts, pins, etc., for just under $200. Was wondering what is recommended replacement cycle for shrouds/standing rigging in general. Boat had been stored on mooring last seven years but on trailer with mast down in off season. Leaning towards this complete upper shroud replacement as mast is currently down but to be on mooring in summer then stored with mast-up on -trailer.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Rules of thumb for replacing standing rigging I've heard: 10 years in the tropics, 20 years elsewhere. As long as you're in there...

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
$200 seems pretty reasonable to me and by replacing everything all at once you have one big chore to remove from your maintenance checklist. Go for it.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
$200 is a really reasonable price. I believe replacement period is
20 for boats on a mooring and stored in the winter with the mast down
15 for boats on a mooring with mast up in the winter
10 for mast up on the water all year round
5 for racing and/or year round salt water
1 circumnavigation for circumnavigation races

Sep 18, 2020
Hake Seaward Fox 19 Seaside Park
Thanks to all who replied re: shroud replacement. One add'l question. Can't find it now, but had seen an old post where someone upgraded shrouds form standard 1/8" to 5/32". Any thought/comments? Thought it odd that my previous Compac 16 with shorter, lighter mast had 5/32" standing rigging.