Bent Rudder Repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim

First off, thanks all for your helpful responses on my wife's post-sailing sea sickness. Looks like we'll be able to get that under control fairly easily. Our 20 year old O'Day 30 came complete with rudder that is a bit bent...slightly forward, as if the previous owner may have backed into a shoal, and maybe 7 degrees to starboard...as if the boat was on a steady, 20 year port tack. <G> While these bends do not interfere with the free movement of the rudder, and as a cruiser I am not worried about whatever slight loss of performance we may be experiencing in speed or in pointing, etc., the clearance between the forward top of the rudder and the hull could be a bit wider and it may be that one more backing into a shoal some day could lock it up under the hull. I don't feel any performance problems at the helm, although not having steered the boat with an intact rudder, I have no real baseline for the rudder's optimum performance. Having said all of that, any votes out there as to what kind of repair, if any, might be in the offing and potential cost? Any recommended yard or craftsman for this work in the Western Long Island Sound area also welcome? I'm thinking, even though I detect no performance problems, some day out there, when I want to sell the boat, a bent rudder will likely detur potential buyers or maybe disproportiantely detract from the value of the boat. On the other hand, if repair means bending the rudder back into shape and potentially fatiguing the rudder post to where we run the risk of losing it or suffering new bending out there, maybe leaving well enough alone makes sense. Any inputs would be welcome. Fair Winds, Jim

E

Eric Lorgus

Rather then replace bent rudder, I fixed mine

Jim: I bent my rudder slightly on my Hunter 28.5 last season, while being towed off a shoal. The rubber was bent back very slightly, but enough that the top of it rubbed the hull. I tried to order a new rudder. I was told it would take two weeks. After three weeks and some snooping around, I found out that this isn't a stock part, it has to be fabricated, and the company in FL that makes these hadn't even begun work on mine. So, rather than sit out the rest of the season, I took my rudder to a machine shop to see what they could do. The rudder post was so hefty that they didn't like the idea of trying to bend it back. Instead, they ground the top of the rudder enough to give clearance between it and the hull. I had the boat back in the water a few days after that, and it's sailed fine since. In your case, a 7 degree bend sounds pretty significant. I think I'd start with the manufacturer to get price and delivery for a new rudder. Then you'll know if it's worth it to you. Eric Lorgus S/V Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.