BENT PROP SHAFT

Nov 29, 2014
hunter 30-2 harrison
any help would be appreciated , on my last sail one of my lines went over board and was sucked up in the prop bending the shaft and breaking the guide , sure im not the first to have this happen, accidents do ,the trick is what to do next, to fix it and get it done quick and at a reasonable cost

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Maybe. Probably.
I'd suspect that if it's the strut, it's not going to be easy, or cheap.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Here's a link to our page, for the strut, shaft/coupler and props, both 2 and 3 blade:
The hull number would be good to distinguish between the 2 struts that were used, that or if the boat is out of the water, clean up the strut and look for a casting stamp number

Nov 29, 2014
hunter 30-2 harrison
THANKS guys !!!! ive been sailing her for about 6 six years now , 1st time any thing like this has happened , hopefully the last !!!
cheers .
p.s. and yes i believe its the strut

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2010
Hunter 31 Watkins Glen, NY
I had this happen to me several years ago, better part of $5,000 to get it fixed. Had the local boat shop doing it. The more difficult part was removing and replacing a new strut. Shaft was basically off the shelf replacement.

Nov 29, 2014
hunter 30-2 harrison
I had this happen to me several years ago, better part of $5,000 to get it fixed. Had the local boat shop doing it. The more difficult part was removing and replacing a new strut. Shaft was basically off the shelf replacement.
THANKS MATE i suspected that was about what i was in for , next step is for me to go dive under to find out which of the 2 struts ill need and to cordinate getting her out, its tourist season hear so things are crazy busy for boat movers better to wait till things are quieter and ive got the parts in hand before i pull the trigger on this one

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Just make sure you have no leaks where the strut bolts on..... that's a lot of force.

Good Luck!

Greg

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Accidental damage is why you have insurance. For $5K, submit a claim.

And on lighter note, I have friends that sized their new bow lines so that when pulled tightly down under the boat they would stop well short of the prop.... (checked while in the yard). True story. :)

ps: your bio reads: "hunter 30-2 Marahute' 1990 bc Ca harrison" (in part). Where do you sail?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
And on lighter note, I have friends that sized their new bow lines so that when pulled tightly down under the boat they would stop well short of the prop.... (checked while in the yard). True story. :)
Now there's a real good idea right there!

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Prop shop may be able to straighten your strut (off the boat). Alignment of prop shaft from coupling through stern tube through strut is a challenge. Watch out for binding at cutlas bearing.

Nov 29, 2014
hunter 30-2 harrison
Accidental damage is why you have insurance. For $5K, submit a claim.

ps: your bio reads: "hunter 30-2 Marahute' 1990 bc Ca harrison" (in part). Where do you sail?
HARRISON LAKE .B.C. 40+ miles of lake, very challenging and ever shifting winds cheapest moorage in b.c. and less than 10 mins from my home.

Nov 29, 2014
hunter 30-2 harrison
I managed to take a dive to look at the damage the other day . its not as bad as i had originally thought ... fingers crossed, however she will have to come out on the hard to get fixed and ive been in touch with a local shop to start coordinating things ,
the main purpose of the dive didint get the results i was hoping for and that was to find out which of the 2 struts i'll need to buy .age and several coats of bottom paint and not knowing exactly where to look made it impossible to determine , i was wondering if there are other ways to tell which is which ...differences in size ?.dimentions ?,angle ? i would like to order the parts and have them ready to go before i pull the trigger on this