Beneteau Water Shield Causing Bad Gelcoat Cracking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2004
Beneteau 400 Toronto
Hi Charlie: I have an Oceanis 400 '94. It has developed hundreds of cracks running all over the gelcoat below and now progressing above the waterline. I have been advised by two Beneteau field technicians that this is adirect result of the Beneteau Water Shield experiment on boats from '93 to '96 that have been stored north of the freeze line. I have been in touch with about 40 other owners of similar boats all suffering the same problem. Do you have any experience with this problem? The remmedy as advised by several surveyors is to peel the gelcoat and epoxy barrier coat. I have chased a few of the cracks to find they progress about one eighth to one quarter of an inch into the chopped strand layer beneath the gelcoat. Do you know if the cracks have to be peeled out completely or could I simply peel the gelcoat then try to stabilize the chopped strand layer with Epiglass prior to barrier coating. I did find the chopped strand layer to be a dry layup. Overall it seems very bad manufacturing. Beneteau denies any responsibility for the problem. We are now considering litigation. It seems very odd that only boats with BWS display this problem. Any help you could offer would be a big help Brad

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Beneteau cracking

Brad, While I don't have any direct experience with the problem I am very much awarre of it. Although this is the first time I am hearing of the Water Shield experiment. There was a lot of back and forth on this issue on one of the surveyor forums and it most of it ame from your area. I am concerned that in your case it is getting into the chopped glass. I would think that besides the moisture intrusion that your boat would have to be repaired in sections to keep it faired and symmetrical in the areas where it has gone that deep. I agree with peeling back the gelcoat and using an epoxy barrier coat but I I don't see what the Epihanes would really do for you. With 40 other boats in your area that you know of I would thiknk there are probably more so maybe legal action is in order. Good luck Charlie

Jun 16, 2004
Beneteau 400 Toronto
Beneteau Hull Cracking

Hi Charlie: Thanks for your reply, two things, first it is Epiglass which is a thinned epoxy resin that tends to seep into a dry layup better than West System and secondly, the 40 boats are spread all over, Toronto, Chicago, Boston, Montreal etc. As mentioned Beneteau indicated that it is only a problem where boats winter in freezing conditions. So they effectively admit it is a water intrusion problem. We are trying to get Beneteau to cover the cost of materials but they flatly refuse. I invite anyone suffering the same problem to contact me as I proceed with this. I can be emailed at mission@sympatico.ca

D

dick rierson

gel coat

brad; i seem to have the same problem, how did you correct it?

Jun 4, 2004
Sailboat - 48N x 89W
Research on Wet Core

A great article in the current August/September issue #96 of “Professional Boatbuilder” magazine, online at proboat-digital.com/proboat/200508/: http://www.proboat.com/ Goto: http://www.proboat-digital.com/proboat/200508/ and Click On “Pages”, then goto: “Wet Balsa Core” ~ by Rick Strand (starts on page 16)

Jun 16, 2004
Beneteau 400 Toronto
Balsa core problems

Great article Gord and thankyou. My question is one of construction. I was informed that there was little or no balsa used below the waterline on Beneteaus. Was I again misinformed by Beneteau?

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

No

Beneteaus are solid glass below the waterline

D

Don

Models and Years

Has this problem surfaced on any other Beneteau models. In particular the 311, 321,or 323. I am looking into one, but this info has me concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.